Worth it for a cheap gaming build?

Kinda depends on the total cost of the rig, what parts are new and which are used. If you're okay with no upgrade path on the platform, etc. I have a 860k machine I take around that plays most of anything just fine (Though I haven't updated my graphics drivers in forever, but I'll do that eventually...) I'd say if you can find the same CPU used for a lower price (but operational) that would be fine paired with a new mobo. End of the day, you'll just have to look at the info you find with research and see for yourself in the end. Living with the hardware is always the pain tech purchases, not always, but a lot of times. If you can wait till you have a little bit more cash (if its possible given time/money constraints) you'll be able to put together a better system for sure, but if your set on this platform its not completely too bad, its just very, very final in terms of its limitations. As for WOW, well... I can't speak to how it'll do (mostly because I've never been to into MMO's) but for most other casual games and general use it, again, should be fine. Not sure if this helps, but that's what I think anyways.

1 Like

See Kegplant_Wizard19 in regards to what I was just trying to do here was build something for my son's mom who really doesn't need anything but a WOW pc. She does not live with me so she can't use one of the custom built rigs I have here. I have tried to tell her time and time again to just let me build her something and she never has. The reason she didn't last time though was she got a pre-built as her sister bought a pc for her because there was a need for some sort of pc in the house. I told my son's mom eventually though she could just sell the new pre-built and end up with a better pc. I also told her about getting a low profile video card but no she just listens and blows off the idea eventually. She is a real piece of work like I am but still I want her to have a better pc as she always bothers me about it when it runs like shit although that has happened less in the past year.

Also about saving up money ....

I am not interested in spending any real money on her pc. The less the better considering she never volunteers anything in the way of funds and also I said she was a piece of work but I could say worse about her at times. With that said again no way I want to spend any real money on her pc.

In regards to an upgrade path I rarely worry about that as quite frankly I rarely upgrade anything in pcs I put together. I may add more storage, get a better cooler but that is about it. The only cpu I will replace is an e5200 or e5300 (with my son doing the work) with the one sent to me by Wendell some time ago which was an E6600 I believe. (Btw Wendell that project will get done and there will be pics and video. It just got derailed when my son lost that phone of his we were going to use to shoot video.)

Welp in that case I suppose the 845k paired with a low cost board with a cheap gpu should be fine. I'm upgrading this year (more of a hold me over till I can actually afford a threadripper rig next year) so I'm not always the best with whether things are good or not from a performance stance (I usually go off of my own exp with the hardware/software). That being said though, yeah, if its an upgrade from what she's running right now then I'd say its worth it.

Full Disclosure: The rig won't set the world on fire, but I don't think its meant to. If you can swing the new CPU/Mobo or find one or the other for less used (and confirmed working) for less go ham.

1 Like

The only option here is to save up your money, youre not gonna be able to play any games at a reasonable setting lmao

I would recommend something like this.

and then throw a video card and SSD at it.

To me theres no sense in paying for a new piece of hardware thats already depreciated. Especially when you can get used depreciated hardware thats better in every measurable way for around the same cost...but hey, you do whatever you think is right for you.

Acer Aspire ax3400-e4202

Guys here is the model of the pc she has. Can the R7 250X fit in this? Also any other info. / comments / responses are appreciated.

Looking at a similar Acer Aspire and knowing most R7 250(X) cards are compact, I do not see why it will not fit.

Processor Type AMD Athlon II X2 255
Processor Speed 3.1 GHz
RAM 3 GB DDR3

These are the specs. : S

I am trying to find info. on the PSU.

That PC could use more RAM if possible. The 250x does not need a power connector but it is a good idea to check the PSU wattage.

1 Like

Yeah I knew it needed more ram and hell one of the PCs in my home could use more ram but it isn't an utter piece of crap so it doesn't die with just 4 GB of ram. LOL! As for the PSU wattage and more I am emailing / messaging Acer now.

Update: The model is no longer made and so when I was sent to the support that was to be used for this the online chat was useless. Now I am just joining their community message boards hoping to get help from somebody.

1 Like

If you have physical access to the computer, you could see if it has a sticker with numbers showing voltages and all the other electrical stuff. I know there is an equation that can allow you to calculate the estimate power of your power supply.

Yeah when I get around to being physically around the pc I will get that info. as I have done similar before but in the meantime I got to do what I can. LOL! Thanks for all the help here though. I appreciate it. I would appreciate it more if people I know would stop buying pre-built pcs more though. At least I have taught my son well and my brother knows better than to do that.

1 Like

That requires them knowing that pre-builts are mostly scams that profit on technologically illiterate people. If they do not know that, they are going to make that mistake out of their ignorance.

1 Like

I have time and time again tried to explain what makes certain pre-builts crap. I also have told them even the pcs that are pre-built that are of quality they charge way too much for them. Uggggghhhhhh!

Oh btw I found out that yes if she had a proper pc she still wants to play WOW. So an increase in ram and that video card eh if they could work with her hunk of junk pc should be the solution. I will only chime in again on this all here once I get the PSU information whenever that will be.

Now they are not ignorant. They are stupid on that department. I don't know how to help you on that part. Stupidity is inner machination of the mind that is an enigma.

1 Like