Workstation/HEDT build, should I wait?

the starting point for TR is not great and I just dont need it for home use. I am well suited to a general gaming system and currently have a 5900x w/ 6750 XT and 32gb.

I dont honestly even make good use of the 5900x but the limited PCIe situation makes it hard to transition my chip into a home server platform.

My sweet spot is enough lanes for GPU, 2x M.2, dual 10g, and 8x SAS card. This combo tends to tap out most consumer boards and is easy for a TR system but I cant justify a $1000 cpu. What I like most about the new Intel offerings is they plan to offer a $400 CPU with 64 PCIe lanes. That would be nearly perfect for my needs, if only they had a a -T or -L variant with 60w or lower.

I really dont want to run server applications on my PC, and I dont want to run my gaming system on a VM.

Also IPMI or at minimum vPRO is a huge plus which you dont see often enough on TR workstation boards. My rack is 100’ from my office so I dont want to be walking all the way to my garage every time I need to do something.

1 Like

Yeah, the 64 lanes looks really interesting, at some of the cheaper ones (8 and 12 core) version look really interesting. I guess I’ll wait a bit as suggested here to see what AMD’s repsonse to this competition is.

The launch of that platform was my reason for posting :slight_smile:

Don’t wait too long though, there is a chance that AMD will not be coming out with something new until early next year. It all depends how much time you think your current system has.

word is AMD wont be releasing anything any time soon.

I’m hoping we see some threadrippers on the used market as people upgrade to Xeon.

Im a serial waiter. Intel has shots fired with xeon for workstation. Will AMD Rip them a new one who noes. ATM AMD are more to power sipper while intel is turning power to 11 to make headlines.

Seeing as I’m currently forcing an ancient HEDT system to do things it shouldn’t, if you don’t want the headaches I have, I would highly advise looking into that.

I WISH I could get a new gen HEDT setup

yeah honestly I think if the price is right, I will just get Intel for its lanes alone.

If AMD really wants to counter, the best thing would be to double the lanes on Ryzen 5.

but 20 lanes when 16 go right to the GPU is just not enough.

Tell me more. I’m all ears :slight_smile:

Well, maybe that would divert the thread into a wrong direction…

Yeah I’ve been leaning towards the new intel platform, but I’ve always had intel in my desktops an have wanted an AMD system - it’s stupid to make the decision just because I “want” an AMD system though…

This is a confusing statement. Zen 4 already offers more direct CPU lanes than Raptor Lake. 24x5.0 on Zen 4 vs 16x5.0+4x4.0 on RPL. Unless you’re comparing to Xeon W which isn’t in the same price class even at the low end (yes you can get a W-2423 for $350 but you still need ECC RDIMMs and a W790 motherboard that won’t be less than $500 on its own.)

20/24 hardly matters, its only just enough for a basic user.

Yes motherboard, ECC RDIMMs will cost more than consumer, but at least were not starting at $1000 for the lowest end CPU.

I am very excited to see how this platform works out. I love my AMD gear, but give me the lanes! TR makes $$ sense if you are using it for work or co-locating services and VMing. I just want toys.

1 Like

pick up one of the new intels?

There is a short content creation test of W-3400 preview on PugetSystems.
Seems that in current state TR > SR, check power consumption, and I bet in few months new threadrippers will appear in wider range, cheaper, and faster.

I am on X99 and I need to update, but… it seems that X99 was better designed than any new platform.

1 Like

X99 is one for the ages. I still use my X99 Deluxe every day at work.

1 Like

If I could bother to care about this board anymore I’d msg you but having to start over is already a big middle finger

Disappoints quite a bit those in the $300-400 ranges will not sell boxed. Are the threadripper pro models reasonably priced or overpriced like all prebuilt

How about an SP5 based system? Still like thread ripper, but with zen4, pcie5, and ddr5. And as of yesterday the non-datacenter cpus are starting to become available at near 1k unit pricing.
The CPUs are:

CPU models ending in F are Frequency optimized, ie fast like thread ripper was.

The build progress for my own SP5 system is:

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.