Working on a new x470 build, watched the youtubes, how am I doing?

Either I missed it or there is no mention of the case this build will live in.

Fan wise:
I am running all Noctua (except GPU and PSU) myself. They are good fans, but have you considered NoiseBlocker, BeQuiet or EK Vardar?

A friend of mine is dual booting Win10 and Fedora. He spent more on SSDs and HDD than on his 2400G.

RAID 0 shouldn’t be used unless you know you have a bandwidth limit, and even then you’d want to use it on only the fastest drives. Not worth it.

You also probably don’t need 32GBs of RAM, nor is it likely that you need B-die unless you’re doing more extreme overclocking or tuning.

Bang for Buck option with choice of 1440p 144hz IPS or 4k 60hz IPS monitors.

Do your workflow benefit from more cores? because you can easily get an X399 system with 12 or 16 cores.

Just ignore the case, though it has some of the best in class airflow.

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/QQYVLJ
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/QQYVLJ/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 2700 3.2GHz 8-Core Processor ($220.00 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Thermalright - Macho Rev.B 73.6 CFM CPU Cooler ($49.90 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard ($128.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill - Aegis 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($124.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital - Black NVMe 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($139.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Sapphire - Radeon RX VEGA 56 8GB PULSE Video Card ($424.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master - MasterCase H500 ATX Mid Tower Case ($107.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Gold 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($78.20 @ B&H)
Monitor: Nixeus - NX-EDG27S 27.0" 2560x1440 144Hz Monitor ($409.99 @ Amazon)
Monitor: LG - 27UD69P-W 27.0" 3840x2160 60Hz Monitor ($399.99 @ B&H)
Total: $2085.01

1 Like

Yeah already have a case from previous build. NZXT Source 210.

Thanks! Some good parts in here. I think I’ll use the 32GB, and would rather have more than not enough. 64GB would be too much probably, but would like the option to do that later by simply rebuying the same 2 stick kit, and not having to upgrade them all. I don’t mind spending more to get the most out of this platform, to a reasonable point anyway. Like to stay near $1800-2000, and I don’t need the case, so there’s a little wiggle room there.

Don’t do raid0 with nvme complete waste of money.
Don’t need 32gb of ram unless you are doing some serious work that requires it.
Basically don’t get caught up in the latest and greatest and fastest. Not worth it in the end.
1 512gb or 1tb nvme.
Graphics card may be worth the 1080 or 1080ti if you want nvidia and will be moving to higher resolution soon.

Nothing particularly wrong that I see. Only a couple that I think could be better

1. You most likely won’t notice any difference between one NVMe SSD and two in RAID 0. Unless you are expecting to completely run out of throughput on one (you won’t if your gaming) the potential for the array breaking outweighs the 0.01 seconds you’ll save at boot. As for the PCIe layout with two M.2 drives I answered the question yesterday in another thread for somebody that has the same motherboard.
    EDIT: Top m.2 slot crosshair vii hero
  2. That NZXT power supply is way overpriced. An EVGA Supernova costs less and will give you more headroom.
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1305618-REG/evga_220_g3_0650_y1_supernova_650_g3_power.html

I do 4k video editing and never fill up 16GBs of RAM

But what exactly do you need your PC for that you might need 32GBs of RAM, but not a high core count CPU?

If your case is much older it might just be worth replacing it

Awesome thanks!

You folks are really making me second guess the raid 0 m.2 so glad I asked.

Lol I just switched to an EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W PSU before reading your post. I’ll check out the 650. Seems like a much better deal, and the reviews are stellar.

Seasonic Focus Gold are the best PSUs to buy for now IMO based on real PSU reviews and just being modern tech.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story6&reid=529

Running VMs, IDEs, & a few live data browser tabs without having to shutdown everything to game and stream… I bump 16GB already and this CPU will have twice as many cores as what I have. I agree that having more cores for that amount of ram would be beneficial, but if I keep this board for a couple CPU gens, I won’t need to add ram later. Basically one and done the ram… with the option to go to 64GB later when they release a 10 core (or whatever they release) and I need more cores and/or ram. Gut is saying the 16x2 vs 2x8/4x8 is a wiser choice with this setup, even if a slight overkill initially.

Looks/sounds good. Slightly more than the EVGA, but maybe worth the money. Still less than the NZXT one I had picked initially. This the one?

Seasonic Focus Plus 550 (Amazon) >>>

If you’re considering more cores in the future just buy them now given how relatively cheap the 1920X is, or rather it was $400 not too long ago at least…

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/X7xyLJ
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/X7xyLJ/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD - Threadripper 1920X 3.5GHz 12-Core Processor ($499.99 @ B&H)
CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-U14S TR4-SP3 140.2 CFM CPU Cooler ($79.90 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock - X399 Taichi ATX TR4 Motherboard ($323.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill - Aegis 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($124.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital - Black NVMe 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($139.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Sapphire - Radeon RX VEGA 56 8GB PULSE Video Card ($424.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master - MasterCase H500 ATX Mid Tower Case ($107.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Gold 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($78.20 @ B&H)
Total: $1780.01

Was looking on the Seasonic… one cool thing I spotted was it does have is a 10 yr warranty vs a 7 + 2 yr (whatever that means) on the EVGA. So, most likely will go with the Seasonic.

But, yeah, maybe go ahead an do a threadripper build plan B. Seems like the general consensus is both the x470 and x399 should be supported for a couple more years, so as far as that goes, seems equally future-resistant.

Vega 56 would save money with free-sync whenever you upgrade your display.

Should probably just grab the high air flow H500 case if you go X399 for the better cooling.

There’s one TR4 cooler missing from this, being the Silver Arrow TR4 below which may be the best if it fits the motherboard. The taichi has a rather tall VRM heatsink

I do 3d modelling / rendering as my hobby and game elsewhen

I dont think I have even gone over 16gb of ram, I mean its NICE having 32GB of ram but not necessary

I have a h90 on my 2700x and its turboing up to 4.3 as it should…

I dont even bother trying to overclock.

Cool thanks. Yeah not planning to push the CPU, don’t really need to, but nice to be able to if I wanted. If I go with a liquid cooler, I was actually wondering if the dual fan was even necessary, and sounds like the single fan is fine, probably quieter too.

I actually added a second fan to the h90 just for giggles but other than a single degree at idle it made no difference to the h90 (kept it in anyway… :smiley:) .

I have crazy cooling on my case anyways, 2 silent ghetto extrator fans at the top + 3 intakes on the front and the h90 with an extra fan on the rear :smiley:

sadly it looks like 8/16 (and it usually only ever needs 16 for un-optimised garbage) are going to be the most we are ever going to need for gaming for a looooong time.

My gaming storage is 2 drives merged using fuzedrive

This

and

this

It has my entire steam, gog, battle.net, origin library on it.

Reason for the large ssd is that I needed enough storage to handle ‘hot data’ (data that is routinely accessed) so that I wasnt accessing the cold data on the slower drive too often… tried it with a 256gb drive and it was less than ideal s(izes of modern games are just too damned big).

at the end of the day, fuzedrive is nothing more than a custom sshd with gobs of ram added on top to help with deferred writes but it does the job amazingly.

…I realise these two drives alone cost more than most pc’s but I consider it worth it.

p.s

I did not pay those prices… just needed something to link to, I actually got them a bit cheaper in store in central london / tottenham court road.

I think you will quickly regret the your choice of case. Other than that… seems decent. I would lean towards Asrock more than Asus.

Spending way to much on ram… unless you have to have it. 16 gigs could be a much more effective price.

You hobbled an otherwise decent system with a budget case… ? Rattle box as I call it. Air flow ?

Gamers Nexus liked the mesh front version of the H500

The H500 and H500P mesh are not the original H500P