Wolfleben's Mini Linux Build [Completed] (Data Cap Warning)

Parts Used
CPU: AMD A8-7600 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor Purchased For $86.98
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-F2A88XN-WIFI Mini ITX FM2+ Motherboard Purchased For $94.99
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory Purchased For $39.99
Storage: Crucial BX100 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive Purchased For $79.99)
Case: Antec ISK 300-150 Mini ITX Desktop Case w/150W Power Supply Purchased For $70.49
Total Build Cost: $372.44

I started at 7:00 PM EST.
The first thing I did was download the latest bios for my motherboard:

What about drivers? That's the great thing about linux, it takes care of getting the drivers.

Next I downloaded the latest stable version of ubuntu gnome:

With those two things out of the way, I gathered all the pc parts and put them on my anti static mat:

I place the motherboard on top it's own box that I would use as a makeshift test bench:

I next started to take apart the case:

Then I put in all important motherboard shield:

After which I kept taking the pc case apart:

Then I installed all the parts for the motherboard and attached the SSD to the motherboard, creating a makeshift test bench:

I turned it on:

And it boots:

I put the motherboard into the case:

I booted it up and checked the bios:

It had the latest Bios and everything works.

I decided to install ubuntu gnome well the case was not fully assembled yet. I had also did so very basic management:

After that I put the case in it's spot I had picked out for it:

I finished at Midnight EST.

Why I built it:
I wanted to have an isolated mini linux machine to play with. I was curious how an APU would perform with Linux. I'm going use it to write my stories/books on. I can use it to test some things. I felt like it.

Why Ubuntu Gnome:
I've used various flavors of linux. I happen to like Ubuntu Gnome and am familiar with how it works. It works for me and that is all that matters.

5 Likes

awesome project, looking forward to see more about this.

1 Like

I really like this build. How is the power supply doing? I am always weary of psus that come with cases. Since this one is from antec, it seems a bit more reliable than most though.

What drivers are you using (open or proprietary drivers?) Are you going to play with HSA?

Look forward to your write up.

1 Like

The power supply appears to be doing well so far. It's only a 150 watt. Antec has a pretty decent reputation so I hope I'll be okay.

I'm using Proprietary Drivers the reason for this is I want to test and see how this would work as a Steambox.

Yes, I'm going to play with HSA that's part of the reason I selected the parts I did. I've gotten to play with it a little bit but not enough to give an opinion on it. I do plan to do a write up on the performance once I run it through a gauntlet. Tonight I'm going to test Steam in Home streaming and see what happens. Should be fun.

1 Like

Nice build, man.

1 Like