WLAN Access Point after Switch?

Oh shit copy...for some reason I thought he was wanting a wireless bridge setup. Thanks for correcting me

2 Likes

Nah. My grandfather did - in wise foresight - run an ethernet cable from the living room to my room ~15 years ago or so.
The problem is: he also installed some shielding on the kitchen wall, which is between the living room and my room, which blocks a great deal of the WLAN.
I have a switch in my room and want to plug in an access point. But I don't know shit about networking (can access my modem/router and do some very basic stuff, like changing the wifi password or put devices on a whitelist), hence the thread asking what my options are and if my idea would work.

uap ac lite all the way!

1 Like

Gonna wait till next month so I can calculate my budget better, in case of a possible upgrade to Ryzen.

In addition to all of the many great reasons that @MichaelLindman mentions:

The hardware is solid and the firmware is solid. The performance, even with dozens of hosts connected, is amazing. Additionally, the management software is full-featured, as you would expect of enterprise grade gear. Unlike consumer grade products, which are horribly buggy and rarely receive security patches (if ever - read the latest reports. Belkin, Linksys, Netgear, et al. are in the headlines nearly every week), Ubiquity release firmware and software updates every few weeks. It is not uncommon for their current/supported products to receive feature updates as well as additional, useful features with these updates. Speaking of features, this unit has advanced capabilities, such as band steering. It can also be configured to gracefully drop a client from the 5GHz radio to the 2.4GHz radio (or vice versa), if distance, or signal quality demands. In order to get these features and performance from a equivalent Cisco enterprise product, you'd have to spend nearly 10x as much.

There is a common question/misconception regarding the Ubiquiti management software. You only need to run it to configure the AP AC Lite. It is not required to run this software around the clock. If you do choose to run it however, it provides quite a lot of useful information about the access point as well as the data used. It also alerts the user to new updates and provides an easy means to manage updates. If you wish to run the software around the clock, but you don't have a server that is on 24/7, Ubiquiti have a nifty device called a Unifi Cloud Key. This is a small embedded device not only runs the management software, but it also provides for remote management of your Unifi devices. It's a great little ecosystem, should you decide to expand your Ubiquiti network in the future, or if you have to remotely manage a remote network for a client, or relative.

I could go on, but I expect that by now, you'll understand why this product is special.

3 Likes

Also in regards to the management software, you don't actually need to use it at all if you don't want to, you can manage and configure the AP using the smartphone app but you miss out on some of the advanced configuration features, I have mine setup on my server in an LXC container but my configuration is fairly hefty with multiple VLANs going to the AP but for general home use it is fine without the controller just using the app.

2 Likes

Here is an overview of the AP AC models.

I should also mention that these models have a built in LED that changes color, based on the operation mode of the access point. If this AP will be in a bedroom, the management software allows you to extinguish the LED, so that it won't keep you awake.

EDIT:
And here is a look at the management software.

1 Like

Ubiquity is nice, but you often can get used enterprise gear for good pricing. Bought 2 aruba acces points a while back and I was very impressed. These things are solid as a rock

I'm pretty vary of used stuff. I think the Ubiquity one will suit my needs.

1 Like