With Windows 11 being announced....is now the time to jump to Linux?

Looking back on Windows 10, whether it be security, updates, Microsoft standards, etc, what are your thoughts on the state of Windows and Microsoft?

As time goes on I am beginning to dislike more of what Windows does on a day to day basis, but I have never made the jump to a Linux distro. I am wondering if now is the time. Biggest hang ups for now are still game support though, but that could be solved as time goes on. For now I am going to begin tracking software equivalencies for moving over and trying a distro, but I am curious what others think.

Please share your thoughts!

7 Likes

Best thing you can do is run a windows VM under your distro of choice. Gaming? Looking Glass has got you covered. In my case I need access to 3DSMax and Solidworks.

I moved over to using Debian as my main OS a few weeks ago, what I discovered is that for 90% of the things I do I don’t need windows. Its so much nice to not deal with the clunky crap that windows has become. For starters I get full speed on my Samba network access to my storage/backup server 24/7, day to day workloads are faster in every way possible.

My only real issue I’ve had has been how Debian tends to stay on older packages, the whole dont break debian ethos is kinda shooting itself in the foot from not updating to newer packages you retain old bugs and its kinda infuriating. Of course you can work round this but its just silly at this point. Think I’ll look into arch now that I’m comfortable building my own kernel.

3 Likes

I’ll have to look into Looking Glass, I have not heard of it.

I think I am going to start using a few Linux VMs in order to see which I would consider trying more long term.

How did you decide on Debian ultimately?

I’ve used a bare debian install without a desktop environment for servers for as long as I can remember, but never as a actual desktop. I can slap a question into google and 90% of the time get an accurate answer at most a few links in. Lots of distros are based off of debian so it’s not really a bad place to start imo but if you google anything about “starter linux” you’ll get some half assed info pointing you to a distro where you wont actually learn anything.

That being said PopOS is a good choice if you dont fancy doing everything your self, t hat’ll get you off of the ground and running no problem.

1 Like

Well the problem is that people already talk bad about windows11,
without it even being released.

But to the question is it now the time to jump to linux if you are a gamer?
then answer is pretty simple… No not really.
Unless you are happy with playing those few games who have a native linux port.
Gaming on Linux although there has been some progress made on it over the last few years.
But there is still a long way to go.

6 Likes

Of course they do its called zealotry

My suggestion to all. Ignore the crap. Judge it for yourself when its officially released

10 Likes

You hit the nail on the head with that statement. Find equivalents and try to get your work flows ironed out and switching will be much easier… Also regarding your title, the time to switch was exactly at Windows 7 EOL

1 Like

If you’re OK with cracking your games to get past the anti-linux DRM then most games should work fine under dxvk with lutris (except for unreal engine games)

2 Likes

I will update my Windows desktop right away. I may try the Beta if they do a preview release.

I’m always up for trying a new thing.

2 Likes

Why bother waiting for the official release when A: it’s already out and really not that different from 10 and B: most people want to get away from Windows due to things that are the very essence of the direction Microsoft has been going with their OS since 10 launched, with no signs of any intent to change any of that?

I see this a lot for commercial products, from being told every new Halo game was the best ever and that last one just really wasn’t that good after all for years and years, to Radeon drivers over and over again, to updates to online games, new Pokemon games, and now even operating systems. It’s like people think doing the same thing but more is going to somehow fix the flaws in what’s being done.
It’s stupid. You don’t need to wait for the new one to know they didn’t fix any of the things wrong with the last one, because they haven’t made any statements about fixing any of the things wrong with Windows 10. Why wait for 11? Why wouldn’t they have patched it out in 10?
It’s all pretty simple stuff to fix, aside from mandatory compositor.

Whiz is right, the time to switch was Win7 EOL, if not a little sooner than that.

3 Likes

I was hoping to an extent I could use a VM to play Windows only games, but thats a separate thing to learn

1 Like

I feel like Microsoft completly stopped caring about Windows and what the users think and want from an OS. They keep following their “vision” like a self proclamed artist that took one too many dab of acid.
Windows 10 is an incoherent bunch of pieces made fit together. The most clear example of it is the fact that there are two panels to change settings from that do not seem to talk at all. Updates regularly break PCs if you’re running anything newer than 8 years ago and add features that nobody asked for.

But I find myself still using it because, even if I hate to admit it, it works. Once you got all the drivers installed you can work with any application you want and game on it no problem. And I knoow that saying this will have someone tell me that Linux can be like that too. No, it’s not like that, don’t lie.

I’m not hopeful that Windows 11 is gonna be any better. What it’s gonna be, seeing the preview posted on the internet, is an de-bloated Windows 10 version (they update this damn OS every day, what’s there to update I ask!?) with a fresh coat of the worst paint you can imagine.

I’ve made myself one promise only: if one day I wake up, turn on my PC and find out that Microsoft updated my Windows 10 to Windows 11 without my consent I’m going to immediatly format my OS drive and install a Linux distro, most likely Ubuntu or similar.

1 Like

If you want. I see cool stuff happening with 11 and in the future because of it.

1 Like

As a Debian user, I use SID/Unstable branch which is pretty damn stable since it is still not exactly bleeding edge. I also use Archinux as well. If you are not comfortable with the unix way of doing things, you may want to Try Manjaro before going to full blown Arch since they still kind of hold your hand in that distro (based on ArchLinux).

Good recommendation for those that want to experience an APT based distro but don’t want to get totally caught up in Canonical’s way of doing things with Ubuntu. PopOS does undo some Ubuntu-isms even though they are based on Ubuntu (Which itself is based on Debian SID).

1 Like

Windows 11 looks like they just used a build of Windows 10 with a different theme. Nothing really interested was added like new APIs, file systems or other improvements. Its just a theme.

2 Likes

Yeah i totally agree on that.
Let them first release it and then everyone can judge for themselfs,
if they want to use it or not. :slight_smile:

Linux could be an alternative if users want to learn new things.
But in regards to gaming there is still allot to be desired.

4 Likes

If W10 didn’t make/convince you to jump to Linux, I really don’t know what will…

3 Likes

Well because there are still plenty of reasons to use windows?
Either being it for work or of course gaming.
Linux isn’t the magical answer to everything, it still lacks in certain compartments like gaming.
And there isn’t any support for adobe or CAD related workloads,
which is still commonly used in the industries.
But Linux does excels in other compartments in comparison to windows,
if people are willing to learn new things.

1 Like

Totally agree with you. I am using Windows for gaming and work.
But based on OP post, it seems these are not issues, and based on my problems with W10, mostly breaking after forced updates, I see no reason to keep using them.

This pretty much sums up the correct answer that we should be giving OP.

2 Likes