Wins7/ryzen 1700x

In comparison to 7, USB3 support, better UEFI support, better management of RAM and caching using extra RAM not already used. I'm sure theres more but whats actually valuable to you may vary.

How is the stability on 7?

I am not trying to hide anything, In my opinion as a Network Engineer Windows 10 allows Microsoft to peek into my network, that is a risk I won't tolerate. If Microsoft were to remove all the code that allow them to peek into my network and release the source code to show they are on the up and up, I probably have a different opinion of the Evil Empire.

1 Like

so does linux work with blizzard games and also the new quake?

I think you need a windows install for blizzard games.

1 Like

It might work.

Funnily enough both my PCs run a Killer NIC (E2200) on Linux Mint and both connected to the internet straight away, no need for drivers or anything. Judging by the file transfer speeds between the PC and the NAS, I have the NIC's full 1Gb as well

As for using Windows 7 on Ryzen, the wuaueng.dll is the one that contains the info on whether or not the CPU is supported. Patching that file solves the problem until the file is overwritten (which is likely to occur every month). Luckily there is a tool that sorts it for you apparently.

I can't verify if it works due to not having Kaby or Ryzen, I saw this kind of nonsense coming when they announced Skylake so I built me a Haswell-E system instead.
Still, I hear a lot of talk and apparently it does the job ... for now. As it gets popular, MS will probably find another way to screw Win7 users over.

1 Like

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/heroes/topic/15700256549 is this a reputable post to run blizaard on lunix?

Thanks for the correction, It was a mistake to play a game and try to answer questions in this post at the same time.:grin:

It seems to be, I used instructions similar to theses to get Star Wars the Old Republic running under linux, which ran quite well, except I would have problems with mouse, which I have found out was being cause by the distro of Linux I was running.

see that worrys me i wanna beable to leav emy pc on all day and get h ome and play or wake up and play.... i need simplicity in my life....

If that is the case you aren't going to be happy with linux. Linux isn't a install and forget it operating system, at least not yet. Several improvement have been made over the years, but to the simplicity of windows it isn't there yet. The best advise I can give you is when you build your new computer set it up as a dual boot system. In my opinion I think the future is in Linux at least in business because of Windows 10 lack of security.

1 Like

how do u set up a dual bios i only jave a windows 10 key...

Huh, I'd be curious to see what devices have support.

Rock solid.

In my case it's an MSI Z77A-GD65 Gaming and an MSI X99A Gaming 7. Mint and Ubuntu work just fine on those, absolutely zero issues.

Mint is what surprises me most though. They never ever update.

Well you don't need to different bois. What you do is you install windows and then you install linux. I recommend that use two different drives. If you choose to install them on separate drives just unplug your windows drive when you install linux. If you want use the same drive for both then FIRST BACK UP EVERYTHING. Then when you get into the linux install it will ask you if you want to insta along side or if you want to wipe windows and install. Just choose the to install along side. 9 times out of 10 this works fine, sometimes though you will have problems that is why you backup.

so if you do a clean install of win7/8 then you wont get any of the telemetry updates? this could be a good thing.

I know what you mean, I am thinking of switching to Ubuntu, all the instructions I have to install software are for Ubuntu, so switching makes sense.

If you want to then go ahead, but maybe you should expand your horizons a little :3

I use arch. I need the package availability. Maybe try fedora or something :333