Wine-Staging was dead

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Wine-Staging-No-More

Passthrough is the only reliable option now. So let’s get GPU passthrough going cause without wine-staging, that’s the only way forward.

1 Like

Hopefully they will merge staging patches into Wine main. The reason why they didn’t in past was because some things caused other titles to stop working. Even if said titles were old and not really used, they had a policy not to merge them thus staging only had these awesome fixes.

I have issues with linux atm and my ryzen build. Lots of random crashes (yes c6 is off).

1 Like

I just tried wine again and for at least Civ V with mods wine runs the game well. No crashes. On dual boot windows 10 it crashs randomly and on linux native steam it crashs after around 200 turns and even saves just crash.
Sad new for wine. Students becoming workers is a thing

1 Like

Same here, random crashes on ryzen/linux. Nothing unmanageable, still annoying. Better overall support/patches will arrive in kernel 4.16 which will take some time, hopefully not as much as it took with 4.15.

Yer I stuck with Fedora cause it by default keeps up on kernels and still is reliable. Just got kernel 4.15 yesterday.

4.15 Stable right? Running 4.15.3.2 Manjaro testing here

Just the normal update

[marten@marten-pc ~]$ screenfetch 
           /:-------------:\          marten@marten-pc
        :-------------------::        OS: Fedora 27 TwentySeven
      :-----------/shhOHbmp---:\      Kernel: x86_64 Linux 4.15.3-300.fc27.x86_64
    /-----------omMMMNNNMMD  ---:     Uptime: 13h 40m
   :-----------sMMMMNMNMP.    ---:    Packages: 2102
  :-----------:MMMdP-------    ---\   Shell: bash 4.4.12
 ,------------:MMMd--------    ---:   Resolution: 3120x1920
 :------------:MMMd-------    .---:   DE: GNOME 
 :----    oNMMMMMMMMMNho     .----:   WM: GNOME Shell
 :--     .+shhhMMMmhhy++   .------/   WM Theme: 
 :-    -------:MMMd--------------:    GTK Theme: Adwaita [GTK2/3]
 :-   --------/MMMd-------------;     Icon Theme: Adwaita
 :-    ------/hMMMy------------:      Font: Cantarell 11
 :-- :dMNdhhdNMMNo------------;       CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700 Eight-Core @ 16x 3.75GHz [37.0°C]
 :---:sdNMMMMNds:------------:        GPU: AMD Radeon (TM) RX 480 Graphics (AMD POLARIS10 / DRM 3.23.0 / 4.15.3-300.fc27.x86_64, LLVM 5.0.0)
 :------:://:-------------::          RAM: 4513MiB / 16035MiB
 :---------------------://           
1 Like

Nice still waiting for my rma on my ryzen 7, it’s been 3 months now… So had to go ryzen 1600 for now

1 Like

What is the difference between Wine and Wine-Staging?

Eh will continue with ports and dual booting. Wine and VFIO are too much of a hassle for me.

Wine-staging included newer patches to add new functionality quicker than the mainline Wine release.

2 Likes

VFIO has the better success if done right. Wine will remain broken in some way if you managed to get the stable version working with a game.

Oh hey! They revived it!

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Wine-Staging-Revival

Glad to hear its back!

They’re also intending to rebase it on Wine Git and streamline the pipeline of how new staging patches get into Wine.

https://www.winehq.org/pipermail/wine-devel/2018-February/123080.html

Wow. We went from dead end to restart with improvements in a matter of days. :smiley:

1 Like

Better DXVK hooks could be done in the Staging branch cause it doesn’t have to wait for the mainline build’s approval process.