WINE questions

The local users did not have admin rights on their systems and the users machines were affected and destroyed through an attack on the network. A IOT botnet attacked the network overwhelmed the firewall and in a matter of minutes broke into the windows machines. When it come to software security Microsoft is decades behind Mac and Linux. They can never get to the same level unless they radically re design they system which would break about 80% of existing software.

My mother's companies primary market are those who are 50+ years of age and they no longer trust Microsoft because of their business practices. If you go through and actually read the license you agree to when you hit I accept in Windows you are giving Microsoft full entitlement to a copy of all files on your machine that they can sell to advertisers. These people know about it and are out right refusing to do business they are gaining in numbers in my mom's district and if the company didn't make a change then there would be no customers to make money from.

Codeweavers sells Crossover, it is Wine with professional support. Not too expensive either, I think it's like $60.

If you want it to actually work, they have a list of fully supported applications.

Stuff in Crossover eventually make it over to the free wine version, but no support etc ofc. Ms Office in Crossover has been a nice experience as long as I can remember.

LOL. No.

1 Like

Wine 2.0 supports MS Office 2013.

https://www.winehq.org/announce/2.0

Read up on UNIX file permissions and octal permissions and get back to me. Windows cannot implement that it's impossible. I am a computer scientist and my focus is operating systems and security.

LOL!!! HFS+ is literally the shittiest filesystem in use today.

1 Like

Yes it is. Ian not supporting apple but it's more secure than windows. Linux is the most secure by far. Go read up on Apple's new file system they are creating.

LOL. MacOS security is a decade behind Windows.

That is malware comming through the webbroswer for example any one can run anything on Windows and if I write a program for windows I can. Literally change any file without permission. On mac and Linux I need permission from the operating system

dude what? No.
You are just wrong. Flat out wrong.

hahah that's some hilarious shit

This thread just totally got derailed big time.

Sadly, I am going to ignore that guy because all he keeps doing is denying facts and making a mess of the thread.

deny facts? what facts? what proof do you have that your absurd statements are true?

Through the registry file any file in the operating system can be over ridden and you can use the registry to inject atom bombs through the web browser. This will destroy any windows system through a kernel panic no matter if you are apart of any domain and it is very hard to defend against a atom bomb by scanning the web page. Things like that exist all over the place in Windows and can never be patched without removing things like registry breaking most of your software. Files in windows names File and file are saved as the exact same file according to windows. Where in Linux they are two different files because the file system is case sensitive. Porting software over from any platform to windows adds a extra layer of bull shit because you must account for changing the case of a lot of files adding time and cost. Dot net is a joke in where it is integrated in a low level. You cannot remove internet explorer in Windows 10 without breaking networking on 10% of all machines(it's up to the drivers and hardware to determine that) basically anyone can run a injection attack if you go to the wrong websites. You can go to a site that will run java script in the background and it will download and run Ruby in the background and then open a ssh connection into your machine from the outside world. A user on the other end could run a 2 line power shell script and it will delete your entire file system. I would be happy to supply you with the copy of the code I was given at my university. I watched a Windows 10 box die in 39 seconds after going to a website with this code on it. The machine blue screened and never rebooted the entire file system was trashed and that was because you have access to everything in windows. In Linux and Mac a separate user named root owns literally every file on the system except for your home folder if you don't own operating system files you cannot destroy them unless you are that user. That add a whole layer of complexity to bricking a machine.

LOL. You keep going. Do you really think that NTFS doesn't have filesystem level file ownership and permissions? Obviously not on FAT32, FAT16, FAT12, or exFAT.... but NTFS does indeed have those permissions.

Atom Bombing isn't a privelege escalation. So unless an admin user is stupid enough to allow the escalation, this is a non-issue.

@NetBandit stop derailing threads.

back on topic. MS office 2013 should work in wine, and in wine you should be able to point to network drives.

The issue of windows shutting down should be avoidable if you have the right version of windows and have the update settings controlled by the organisation.

1 Like

Thank you for a clear and concise answer

I agree, Windows should not be shutting down while you are using it.

OP:
Perhaps moving to Linux is not the solution you are looking for.

Depending on the size of the company it may be best to look into Windows Active Directory. Windows Server Essentials is good for small business and supports most of the standard AD features like central security groups and group policy.

Windows AD is almost always the best solution where a company needs better control over their computers and employees and relies on Windows based software.

Linux might work out for you, we don't know enough to tell you that, but please consider carefully what you do moving forward as it could have a significant impact on the company as a whole.

Could you tell me more of the benefits and drawbacks of both systems?