Windows Xp Bsod Problem. Help?

Alright I own a hewlett packard pavilion a1430n and i've been getting BSOD and my computer sometimes, the monitor would just go white with a bunch of specks of blue on it and i'd have to restart it out of the blue, its a old machine and everythign is screwing up on it.
But I recently got the blue screen of death and after trying several things for several hours i couldnt get it to go away, and since HP is cheap and they didnt supply with me with my own xp disc they have a part of the hard drive partitioned so that if a problem comes up I push F10 and go into system recovery.
Soo thta was my last option so i push F10 run the recovery process, it says all my files will be deleted blah blah blah.
So after its done, Xp starts up normally and fine, I have all that bloat ware on my desktop from hp and then I notice that all my old process's are running, like my drivers for my mouse etc.. and all my old games are still on the computer,
I check the hard drive and its half full, so it didnt wipe it?
but yet whenever i try to open one of my old applications or my pictures it says "unable to access the file" and theirs no way i could get around that from what I tried to get into my pictures.
Does anyone have any suggestions?
I just want to get my pictures and save them thats all I really care about thats on the hard drive.
Any help apreciated!
Thanks.

Also, im guessing in order to actually wipe my hard drive i'll have to re format it with a xp disc thta I dont have then run the system recovery, correct?
I fucking hate Hp *face palm

-Admanthemadman

sorry I didnt realize this was in the video card section