Windows Updates: Don't want to install the Data Mining Crap

Sup all.

As the title says, For the last 6 months i have been using Windows 8.1 and i have disable the Windows Updates. I know there are some people on this forum who frown on that. I'm going to reinstalling my Windows maybe tomorrow.

So what i would what would be the easiest way to have all of the updates minus the Data Mining shit, Does anyone know if there is like a third party website that keeps a track of Windows Updates to make jobs for people like me easier cause i really don't want to spend hours & hours going through the updates one by one.

I was thinking Updates from when Windows 8.1 came out up until like January 2015 they should be fine and should have any of that crap with it.

I think i would be doing some damage buy not installing updates right?

Thanks

You could just do something similar to this: http://winaero.com/blog/how-to-disable-telemetry-and-data-collection-in-windows-10/

Not installing updates is a horrible idea. Updates include new security fixes along with stability fixes, and it's best practices to allow it AT LEAST once a month.

Thanks for that but that's not what i'm really looking for yes i have heard of this & the Spybot one as well.

Fedora 25 is nice :)

https://forum.level1techs.com/t/how-to-make-windows-10-not-suck-as-bad/85393/20

A work in progress. Bare with me :) Most of this can translate to 8.1 easy enough. You should bite the bullet and upgrade to 10 , tho. As the older os is not gonna see any love and is purposely gonna suffer and grow worse. A quick google should lead you towards which updates to not install on your version of windows.

2 Likes

@Freaksmacker +1 for fedora 25. If youre a Linux newbie and dont want to have to install stuff to be able to use things like mp3 files and other proprietary stuff then you can use Korora 25 instead. Korora is basically Fedora with proprietary things commonly used added in for you by default and a couple of 3rd party repo's like RPMFusion

2 Likes

Just installed steam and kodi to my Fedora build today :) Media storage based system with playback and gaming . I prefer opensuse for my actual workstation.

1 Like

TBH i don't really want to install Linux atm on my gaming system that will end up changing later on but at this point in time i just want to stick with Windows.

In your opinion (or anyone) give me Five reasons why i should upgrade to Windows 10.

The biggest problem i have with Windows 10 you will spend hours tweaking it and then Microsoft will release an update and it changes those settings, As far as i know you don't have that issue with Windows 7/8.1.

Another reason why i'm happy to stick with 8.1 it works and i'm happy with it.

Gaming Dx12 vulkan Win 10 actually runs better once brought under control some. Drive and file management, better backup recovery systems in place . Win 10 is where all the new development and technologies will land first. Which the older versions will never see. There are little features that i enjoy like killing the network such as bluetooth and wifi in a single click. Reminder to weight this against how old of hardware and how old of software you use. As there will be issues in the upgrade to sort. But yes updates are hell :) Your hell is coming by neglect and lack of development. Maybe even the update hell win10 user are going through.

1 Like

The problem is with Windows 10 that there going to put a limit on it that will only work with newer hardware starting with the 7000 series from intel and the highest CPU & Motherboard i'm going to be buying is a X99 motherboard, It's with the newer version of Windows 10.

TBH i know this is going to sound strange i have no interest in DX12 i hope Vulkan beats DX12 and it's highly unlikely that i will own any DX12 games anytime soon i just have way too many games to play that are still on DX9-DX11 and most of the games have come out with DX12 support those games just don't interest me at all.

I have used Windows 10 last year and you know what i couldn't tell a damn difference between Windows 8.1 & Windows 10 if anything for me Windows 8.1 runs better than Windows 10 did, Also Windows 10 IMO is always going to be a Beta cause Microsoft can't be fucked anymore so they have just passed it on to the users.

I was having too many issues with Windows 10 that i don't have on Windows 8.1.

3 Likes

I understand but remind you that windows is not going to let you hang on old versions like they did with xp. I disagree as far as newer software runs much better on 10 as it built with newer tech/support behind it. if it works :) to each there own.

1 Like

Not exactly - they ARE going to drop support, but that is very different from putting a limit on the hardware.

1 Like

Bye that point i should be on Linux anyway.

That's fine i have over 12 months anyway for Mainstream Support and a few more years of extended support.

We all know what Microsoft game is here is to have everyone on Windows 10 which WILL never happen cause there are people who will not upgrade.

1 Like

Realistically the only way people are going to be actually FORCED to upgrade to W10 is when games publishers release native dx12 games that have no vulkan, dx11 or dx9 support.

That's why i would rather see more Vulkan support than DX12.

Same applies to those people maybe there happy with DX9 & DX11 games.

TBH i can only see the big publishers release native dx12 not the smaller ones.

To get back to the update question : MS changed the update system in October, turning everything into one giant update. That's security tweaks and telemetry/spyware together. No chance of uninstalling part of the updates, it's all or nothing.
They're working on including earlier updates into the big rollup, so every month they're going to be able to retroactively install old updates with the new rollup one.

At this point your options are to :
- Install Win10 and use the phletora of tools to lock it down
- Install Win7 or Win8 and disable the entire update system, exposing you to all kinds of exploits.
- Install Vista and be safe from spyware. Unfortunately support ends in April 2017 so exploits will be a worry real soon.
- Install XP, do the Embedded/POSready tweak and copy over the DX11 from a Win7 or 8.1 install. That gives you gaming capability and security updates until January 2019, but safety is not guaranteed because you're tricking the OS into thinking it's something else and some patches may not apply properly.
- Move to MacOS or Linux

I locked my Win7 down just before the October updates hit and today I am cleaning up the PC for a format.
I'll be running Linux as main OS from tomorrow on and will put a fully updated Windows 7 on a small SSD that's going in the hotswap bay whenever I need it. I'll only be using that Windows install for GTA5 really, so I'm not that bothered about spyware.

1 Like

@anon37371794

So i'm guessing it's going to be pointless using Windows 8.1 in the future then.

The thing is if i install Linux it's going to piss me off cause i'm so used to Windows i just don't think i can use Linux as a daily driver.

The problem is with OSX is gaming is just not there but it has improve in the last 10 years compare to where gaming was on Mac.

I really don't like the fact that i'm going to be forced to an OS that i don't want.

What do you think i should do just bite the fucking bullet and go to Windows 10 and just put up with all of the bullshit with Windows 10 we kinda know that gaming will just work out of the box.

That info you have just given me it really has fucking piss me right off.

If you have the option to install a valid Win10, I'd go with that. Everyone is focusing on locking it down, so there are plenty of tools to do just that. Few people are focusing on locking down 7 and 8.1, so tools for that are not that common and may not be too effective.

To answer your question is no i don't have one.

The only Windows 10 i have is Enterprise with that i would have to reinstall it every 3 months or what ever it is.

If your thinking of switching to Linux ZorinOS has a very windows like desktop environment to help ease the transition. Might be worth checking out in a VM if you are interested. You can always set up dual boot along side windows. I dual boot Arch Linux and Windows 10. It works well for me.