Windows Update failed me; please help

I tried to update windows 10 on my laptop; which is a Samsung np940x3h-k03us. So long frustrating rand cut short, I have no OS on my laptop because Samsung. What I am trying to do now is install a fresh windows 10 on the original partition. The problem i keep running in to is "windows can't be installed on drive 0 partition 4, which is the primary partition. when i click to show more details it says:

"Windows cannot be installed to this disk. the selected disk is of the GPT partition style.

Windows cannot be installed to this disk. the computers hardware may not support booting to this disk's controller is enabled in the computer's BIOS menu."

Side note: I had to turn off secure boot; otherwise I would not have been able to boot to the flash drive from which i am trying to reinstall windows from. I cant help but to wonder if that is what the above message is referring to.
I have tried formatting the partition, deleting the partition and creating a new partition. After refreshing the menu via the refresh button , nothing changes.

What do you suggest to resolve the issue?

Just need to format the hard drive or boot from usb efi.

1 Like

usb efi?

When you enter the boot menu there is sometimes a option to boot between legacy of efi.

1 Like

if I boot in to UEFI, i get an error code: 0xc000025

Here Try This http://www.techyv.com/questions/windows-8-winloadefi-error-code-0xc0000225

1 Like

I found this guide: https://arktronic.com/weblog/2012-08-05/how-do-clean-install-windows-7-or-8-samsung-chronos-laptops/
Seem so be doing the trick. all in all basically what you suggested. Thanks!

Yeah Basically

For people configuring their PCs for the first time all by themselves, an error message like “Windows cannot be installed on this Disk” can be a big time problem. One, the message explains little about its cause and second, most of us don’t really have a lot of experience in setting up systems. The problem, however, is not as elephantine as it seems. It is simply a compatibility issue. This problem generally occurs when you try to install windows on a UEFI-based system while your hard drive partition scheme does not support UEFI.

The agreement between the firmware and the hard disk partition scheme is essential for locating the boot loader for the Operating System and hence, is the first step in the installation process of windows on a computer system. By default, recent hardware boot using UEFI mode. Thus, when one tries to use an old hard disk with an updated UEFI-based system, the message “Windows Cannot be Installed On this device” pops up. This is because old hard drives maintain partitions using MBR scheme which is not supported in UEFI-based systems. Therefore, for windows installation it is important to convert either MBR partition scheme to GPT partition scheme or configure the system to boot with the legacy BIOS-compatibility mode.

To solve this problem WITHOUT DATA LOSS, you need to convert MBR to GPThttp://www.disk-partition.com/gpt-mbr/convert-guid-partition-table-to-mbr-1004.html disk or enable UEFI boot mode in BIOS if your motherboard support UEFI. By the way, you can use a freeware AOMEI Partition Assistant to convert disk between MBR and GPT without data loss.

No, you have no os on your laptop because windows. I built my own desktop and I have had this happen 2 times now. Happened a lot in windows 7 and once or twice in windows 8.

Go grab linux and save yourself the trouble.

I often avoid issues with windows update by fresh usb install and allow it to update during the install. Takes far more time usually. Sorry for the necro. My linux is weirding out ?