Windows stopped connecting to Samba

I just updated to Fedora 31. Previously I was accessing the Samba share from a kvm/qemu virtual machine running Windows 10. I used a virtual NIC on the hypervisor and use a virtio device on the guest. I am able to ping the host from the guest, but not the guest from the host. The guest does not resolve the netbios name assigned in the /etc/samba/smb.conf file. Attempting to access the previously mapped share returns “The network path was not found.”

Here is the conf file:

[global]
workgroup = redacted
netbios name = redacted
server string = File Server
comment = File Server
dns proxy = No
security = user
passdb backend = tdbsam
unix charset = UTF-8
dos charset = CP932
wins support = Yes

name resolve order = wins lmhost hosts bcast

hosts allow = 127. redacted

[share]
path = /home/share/
writable = yes
create mask = 0644
directory mask = 0755
guest ok = no
valid users = redacted

Criticism is welcome. Results of testparm:

Load smb config files from /etc/samba/smb.conf
Loaded services file OK.
Server role: ROLE_STANDALONE

Press enter to see a dump of your service definitions

Global parameters

[global]
dns proxy = No
dos charset = CP932
security = USER
server string = File Server
wins support = Yes
workgroup = redacted
idmap config * : backend = tdb
comment = File Server
hosts allow = 127. redacted

[share]
create mask = 0644
path = /home/share/
read only = No
valid users = redacted

I am not sure if this has anything to do with the update to Fedora.

Think it’s because of the latest windows update. Go to add features, and add SMB v1 protocol. Worked for a friend of mine.

Adding the protocol did not change anything. I would have laughed getting a windows solution on the Linux forum. I dug out my old laptop and hooked it up to my hub (Yes, I actually have an old school Ethernet hub. It works just fine. Leave me alone :sweat_smile:) From there I am able to ping Fedora, but not Windows. Perhaps KVM has isolated the virtio nic from anything outside the hypervisor. This was my intention when I set it up.

I discovered that disabling the windows defender firewall on that connection allows me to ping the Windows from the Fedora. Windows is still unable to resolve the NetBIOS name assigned in the Samba conf file, though it resolves from the terminal on Fedora, but only to an ipv6 address. It does not resolve on the laptop either.

The NetBIOS name shows up in the Files program on Fedora in the Networks section on the Other Locations tab. Clicking on it shows the shared drive. Attempting to access it yields:

Failed to mount Windows Share:  Invalid Argument

I’ll setup logging and see if I can find any more clues.

Hello Level1,

I thought I would report back on my success.

Added to /etc/sabma/smb.conf [global] section:

bind interfaces only = yes
interfaces = lo virbr1

moved virbr1 and vnet0 to a Zone with the dns service enabled in the firewall.

I then destroyed and recreated the virtual network associated with virbr1 on the QEMU/KVM Connection Details screen, changing the domain name to match with the workgroup name specified in the /etc/sabma/smb.conf [global] section and also the workgroup name specified on the Computer Name tab of the System Properties applet on the control panel in Windows 10.

I was able to remove the SMB moduls from the programs and features applet without losing any fuctionallity.

It remains unclear exactly what precipitated the problem. It took an embarrassing amount of time to resolve this, but all’s well that ends well. :smile:

1 Like