Windows Server configuration

So, I’m eventually getting to revive an old project that got put on hold due to work commitments… I’m looking to get my home network updated and configure my home server (a Thecus W5810).
The Thecus comes with Windows Storage Server 2012 R2 Essentials, and has already been updated to have 16GB of memory. I have 4x WD Red Pro 4TB drives installed - using storage spaces to create 2x Mirrors and then Disk Management to Stripe them into a pseudo RAID 10…

The main purpose of the server is to run Solidworks PDM; https://www.solidworks.com/sw/support/PDMSystemRequirements.html
The secondary purposes are; general storage, and regular backups.
Couple of things I’m not sure on (wondering what people think)

1. Windows Storage Server 2012 R2 Essentials goes EOL in September with extended support finishing October 2023. So, should I be looking to change to Windows Server 2016 before doing anything else? (Note PDM networking requirements: “Microsoft Windows networking. Novell networks and non-Windows network storage devices are not supported”).
  2. I’ve never set up a proper network before… should I be looking to utilize the functionality of the server environment (this is where I got stuck deliberating options last time). If so, what would / wouldn’t be recommended? - Or, where can I look to get the information to work out which options I should be looking at (again, where I got stuck last time).

My network is currently a PFSense Firewall feeding into a switch, with everything connected to said switch. So the Firewall is providing the DNS to the network.
I have a Synology NAS which is currently being used for storage, the drives installed are standard Reds, so it’s a bit slow at times. The intent would be to re-purpose this to back up from the main server / hold data that doesn’t require speedy access.

Happy to read up on things, but don’t really know where to start on this. . .

Hi,

Looks like you have a great hardware in the server side.

What about your network, switch? Network speed, have you use iperf before.

I think the basic network setup is pretty alright… for my needs at least.

ISP Router - > PFSense Firewall -> LAN 1 (Network) / LAN 2 (TVs, etc.)
LAN1 -> 16 port, unmanaged gigabit switch (with an additional 5 port wired in)
LAN 2 -> 5 port, unmanaged gigabit switch
The whole house is ran in CAT7 cable with ports in each room - hence the size of the main switch.

I’ve not used/ heard of iperf before. All of the network ports have been checked and register as running at gigabit, but not specifically checked the quality.
Just ran speedtest.net on the work station while typing this out (and watching Youtube): 19ms Ping, 221.10Mbps Download, 12.05Mbps Upload.
Was going to try pingtest, but that is discontinued… the Speedtest app is crap. 21ms Ping, 74.94Mbps Download, 12.29Mbps Upload, 1.11ms Jitter, 0% Packet Loss.
I know it is rudimentary, but at the moment, the network isn’t really configured at all…

I think the main thins are:

• Probably going to have to flatten the Thecus and install Windows Server 2016.
  • I need to learn how to configure the server… and I really don’t know where to start with that - use the server for everything (DNS etc), or let the Firewall take care of most things, leaving the server as a storage box with the PDM software…?

Just sharing my ideas…

Proxmox and server 2012 under a vm.
If you read a little bit about proxmox, you will understand why…

Hardware raid with 2 or more hdds will work fine.

Pfsense taking care of dns, dhcp, firewall.

If you want to go the extra mile, freenas for proxmox vms backup.

Server 2012 is very simple for a quick install.

The only issue I have with Server 2012 is the EOL is coming up in September, so I’m not sure how long the PDM software will continue to work with it before I’m forced to upgrade to maintain the latest functionality

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/lifecycle/search?alpha=Windows%20Server%202012%20Datacenter

Microsoft added an extension. 2023.

Well, that is handy to know… thank you.

Shall have a more in depth look into Proxmox…

If I’m going to keep the dns, dhcp, and firewall on the PFSense box, that sounds like a pretty basic install of Windows Server. I’m sure I’ll have plenty more questions on configurations, but I’ll get the basics set first…
Is there anywhere particular to look for a basic configuration guide? I’m trying to remember where I got stuck last time

About windows server or about pfsense

Windows server… I kind of know enough about PFSense to use it, not to it’s full extent, but I’ve read enough guides / see enough videos to be able to get it up and running, fulfilling most of my needs. Windows server, on the other hand, is all new to me.

Start by installing windows server on a virtual box for example, if you need some help, just reply the post

Thanks very much :slight_smile:
Currently got the server pulled apart to change the fans out for noctua fans - on order.
I have found a USB stick with what looks to be the Windows Server install for the Thecus (I don’t have a stand alone Windows Server install) - so, going to see if I can get that onto a VM, failing that have a look around for a MS download then apply the key…
I’ll have a look at Proxmox as well

1 Like

Having a bit of a look and I’m wondering about using a VM vs. installing native onto the hardware… the CPU is only a 4 core with 4 threads - so I’m not sure of the performance hit that using a VM may have on the Windows OS (just occurred to me last night - so, only had a brief look, trying to find the potential impact).
Also learned that the CPU only supports 8GB of RAM (according to Intel’s website) - but it seemed to be fine with the 16GB installed :stuck_out_tongue:

Using proxmox will only use arround a 10% of local resources.

Well, I’ve managed to get Proxmox onto the server, and then get a VM installed for the Windows Server install… The ISO was detected and ran the recovery / install, but now it’s stuck and I cannot make it move past a “booting from hard disk…” message.

The recovery drive worked last time with the base server, so I don’t know if it’s a configuration option that I have selected incorrectly… or what.
I allocated 1 CPU / 4Cores, and roughly 15 of the available 16GB of memory. The VM is sitting there at 25% CPU and 91% RAM; with the hard disk message.

Kind of wondering if it’s better to just do a conventional Windows Server install on the Thecus and mess with Proxmox on other hardware. Eitherway, once the Windows Server is up and running, I still need the help for configuration. . .

I’m wondering if if there is an MBR issue based around the Thecus recovery install - wiping the VM drive space. But, that’s a bit of a guess…