Windows passthrough VM won't boot

Yup. I have absolutely no idea. Like I said, I sort of remember having this problem once before, but I don’t remember the fix. Maybe @wendell might have a bit of time to take a jab at this? My guess is somehow the partitions got whacked and I have no idea how to un-whack them.

At this point I think I am going to make a totally new VM image from scratch. I can actually mount the old, broken VM image (in the host) because I made it as a raw .img file. So I have access to the files and junk in there. I am going to try to copy the game files to the new VM, since it takes me days to download a game nowadays.

Still would like to fix the original image though. Would make things easier.

EDIT: Well, I think I fixed it. For whatever reason having the storage drive set to VirtIO (which is what all my images have been set to for the last almost two years) was the issue. I set it to SATA and it booted fine. I can’t believe the frustration that caused. I don’t know why suddenly VirtIO wouldn’t work. It worked the first time I changed to Q35. Whatever. Thanks for the help. I’m going to drink beer. Heavily. And probably take the dogs for a walk.

Wendell is mostly a lurker, he hardly ever comments. Glad you got it sort of solved though.

Glad to hear you’ve got it fixed. Sorry I couldn’t be of more help.

I wonder if somehow the virtio drivers on Windows got corrupted. You could try reinstalling them and switching back.

Oh no, you were a ton of help. Thanks a lot for that.

I might try fiddling with the two settings. I can tell having it set to SATA reduces performance a bit, so VirtIO is the better choice. Don’t know why or how it suddenly stopped working. Maybe host updates cause something to happen.