Windows Modules Installer using 100% disk

This happens frequently and often. 3 or 4 times a day the service will go apeshit and make the pc nearly unusable for 20 minutes at at a time. Any suggestions on what to look for? Aside from completely disabling Windows Update, that is. It’s recently been reimaged, and it’s not the only corporate PC with this problem.

It’s not too unusual for somewhat older systems. Run through any available Windows Updates to see if the behaviour persists beyond that. It probably won’t.

Edit: if the image was rather old, you might want to consider simply downloading the big 1803 Windows 10 update separately, if that’s where you’re supposed to end up in the end.

The windows installer is horrible, gastly, retarded, basically pick your own synonyme.
most slower hardware is going to be taxed HARD by it, and especially if it runs out of space, which is where M$ really shines.
Instead of just calling it quits it just keeps hammering your computer trying to download the file.
all in all a big golf clap til M$.

Couple of things: It’s a quad core Haswell with 4gb running 1709. 1709 is the corporate standard image; I have no control over that aspect. Deployments are handled by WSUS, so I went into Software Center and tried to restrict Windows Update activity between 5pm and 11pm. We’ll see how much good that does. I’m not convinced it will given M$ propensity to ram updates down everyone’s throat.

My best advice is try and uninstall the candy crush typish bloat ware, which is force installed again by M$, and do a disk clean including ALL the crap M$ has forcefully downloaded, as admin, reboot, and pray.
My experience with M$ forcefully updates is i recently bought one of those cheap laptops. And it does what i need it to do.
But since it runs emmc as its boot drive with 32gb space, it’s an un ending cycle, i clean the drive, M$ force downloads a patch, and is unable to install. wrinse and repeat.
how large is your boot partition/drive? even windows server does this shit where it runs out of space and spams the computer in a desperate attempt to install V.XyZ