Windows keep resizing for no apparent reason

I have a Windows 8.1 Pro machine connected via displayport to a Dell U2711 monitor.

When this was connected with DVI cable everything worked fine. But moving to displayport has had a very strange impact. Whenever the system wakes from sleep all of the windows occupy just the top left corner of the screen.

I can’t work out what is doing this, Is it a fault in the cable, the displayport technology or the Dell monitor.

This is driving me nuts. I know if will work if I go back to DVI but I’d rather not do that as I’d like to buy a KVM for 4 computers and the others don’t have DVI that can output at the 2560 x 1440 of the Dell.

Any advice much appreciated. Is this a known problem?

I’m in the process of building a new PC but I don’t know what I need to do to fix this.

The monitor boots in low resolution mode (1280x720) before the display driver gets the proper EDID for 2560 x 1440 display mode. You could try forcing 2560 x 1440 in your driver. I have the same problem when using an HDMI AV Receiver.

Thanks for the reply. My driver says it is set to 2560 x 1440. Is there another setting? I’m using an Nvidia card.

under performance use custom setting for graphics,
most people usually have it set for best speed performance or automatic

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.