Windows isn't the problem. You are

This isn't even a case of bloatware or 9000 different "standards" though.

It's a case of MS either hiring incompetent fuckups, or complete assholes.

@thecaveman We had a spat of destroyed units, because other units, due to a parts issue, had been entirely replaced with new units that had blue trim. So kids were destroying their regular all black units, to get the ones with the blue trim. Despite them being exactly the same, except for the blue trim.

We knew this, but couldn't label it as "intentional damage" because we can't actually prove that. We can only prove that if the internal wires are actually "cut" (which does happen).

OH, and the "notes" we get with them. This one takes the cake.

"Unit will not charge unless charger is plugged in".

I shit you not.

4 Likes

Yeah, it's my fault that Windows forces me to upgrade, to use ancient formatting standards, that it wants to know what turns me on. How dare I.

On a more serious note, I agree, too many people complain about OS problems when it's user error. User error is such a horrible and chaotic pain for programmers to deal with.

1 Like

I think the single biggest problem with Windows (regardless of version) is the user. Seriously - if you work in the repair/service sector, how many times do you see a customer come in with a computer thats not working properly and time and time again its because of something the user has done and not the OS.
The most common one for me is people doing something that some forum says to do to increase performance and they have NO FUCKING IDEA what they are actually doing, dont understand the side effects, and blame the OS for something a forum recommended they do without understanding the side effects and consequences. So many "Disable this service" or "Edit this registry key" forum posts and the majority of them are ludicrous.

1 Like

I'm making the point that nothing is perfect. every OS has it's issues. OS X you're at the mercy of apple to fix your shit.

The entirety of my college courses (one and a half years, no breaks, 5 week semesters, to classes per semester) I used Libre office.

Never had an issue with not having MS Office.

1 Like

THIS^^^^^^

And to answer your question 99% of the time it's them.

1 Like

I get that, but still.

This is an obvious design flaw. If the storage drive fails, then the entire system is rendered inoperable. What kind of moron designs a system like that?

1 Like

Ask anyone using a RAID system?

Correct me if I am wrong, isn't the point of RAID supposed to be redundancy? (other than RAID 0, which is for performance if I remember correctly)

That would be counter to the acronym.

Redundant Array of Independent(Inexpensive) Drives(Disks)

1 Like

Yes thats why raid0 is NOT RAID!!!!

RAID does the opposite except for RAID 0, which I wouldn't know why people still use it, I am still rocking SATA SSD speeds, and if that ain't enough, there is PCI-E and NVMe SSDs

yes. yes it is.

but shit like that can happen. as for the System shitting itself after you removed a hard drive. did you consider if you forgot to set the drives properly?

Obviously.. all my Systems run on SSDs. and I have a bad habit of picking a new one up every month. I need to stahp. the DEALZ are real.

1 Like

lol they are so affordable now, I can't fault you there.

1 Like

I considered that, then I did a google search.

Apparently Windows 7 would add the second drive the the boot partition/table/whateverit'scalled, in such a way that the system will fail to boot if the storage drive is missing.

I ended up just taking the SSD instead, blanking it (with a Linux thumb drive, because Windows apparently can't be trusted to do things correctly/sensibly/logically), and re-installing her copy of Windows 7 on the 1tb WD Blue drive instead.

which is why and in good practice if you are doing or tinking with the OS from the hard drive level it's best to remove any other hard drive from the system. sadly you learned the hard way.

1 Like

You are a poor guy. If you haven´t lost faith in your future by today, you never will.

Something here is of. I just turned of my machine, unpluged the 3 HDDs just leaving the SSD with Windows7 on it connected. It booted up fine.

For the generall topic: 80% of computer problems are related to an interface error. The interface between chair and keyboard!

1 Like

Indeed I did.

I will never make that mistake again, because it was fucking infuriating at the time.

Which version of Windows? Windows 7 home professional Service Pack 2?

When you installed it, did you have all of the drives currently installed, installed at that time?

That and for future reference if you are using an HDD. make a seperate partition for the OS. that way if you move to an SSD you can just take that partiiton clone it to the SSD then delete the partition from the HDD and problem solved..

Windows won't allow you to clone the OS unless you have a drive of similar size.

1 Like