Windows Insider GSOD (Green Screen Of Death) Crashes! Any easy fixes available?

Well, I decided to try & get Insider Updates from Windows for the new rig, but there are certain times --(off & on, totally random)-- that I will get a Green Screen Of Death related to my Insider build. And nearly all the time this is when I’m not even doing anything intensive! The errors I have noticed before it has automatically had to reboot are: Store_Data_Structure_Corruption & Whea_Uncorrectable_Error.

I have tried some troubleshooting on my own, but I’m not the best at diagnosing these types of issues. What I have tried so far includes: checking for corrupt system files via the sfc /scannow command in Command Prompt (no corrupt system files found), checking my drivers for updates (Device Manager says I have the best latest drivers), even scanning the system for viruses/malware/adware/spyware, etc has revealed nothing out of the ordinary as the system is perfectly clean.

Needless to say, I would highly appreciate it if anyone might be able to help me fix this annoying issue! For anyone interested, my system was custom built by me & when I got the parts a year ago, they were all new. This is also a link to the parts/components I chose for my build: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/FZjp9G

Also, I’ve included a screenshot showing which build version & all that my system is running: 1300860665_WindowsVersionBuildscreenshot.png.8e9afad5616bb55c231efd0d2875500e.png

If anyone who wishes to helps needs further details or have any questions for me about this, feel free to ask & I’ll be sure to get back with you as soon as I can! BTW, this same topic was posted on the LTT forum in case any of you are active over there. Thanks to anyone who might be able to help! :)

I shoot absolutely blindly and without much sense but … how does your power look like, you don’t have a “undervolting too much” situation? Maybe lower the mV value.

Well, if this helps any, I’ve actually left all of my settings at stock ever since I built this pc 2 months ago. Besides, I’m not overclocking & as I stated- this is a GSOD; NOT a BSOD. Just saying…

Personally, I would move to a stable version of windows.

But more seriously, you are being a free beta tester for MS. The insider builds are very explicitly not ready for production and have bugs. Since MS does not have public source code for windows, you have to report bugs to them instead of being able to fix them yourself(in most cases). So, therefore, you should be making an issue in the feedback hub rather than here, since that is where the people that can patch this issue are located.

If you want to try debugging OS kernel issues, I would suggest running a (F)OSS operating system, such as Linux or FreeBSD, instead of trying to fix issues on a OS where kernel source code is not public.

Well, I’m not really interested in running Linux on this machine since it’s already running Windows 10 & it’s purely for gaming. Would there be any way(s) I can go back & try to find out what caused these GSODs? I want to try & find the cause, but I have no clue as far as knowing how if you know what I mean.

UPDATE: I just saw another 1 of these GSOD (Green Screens Of Death) & the error was machine_check_exception. Oddly enough this was when I only had a few browsers open! Please, if anyone can help, reach out & we’ll talk!

GSOD is exactly the same as BSOD, only the color changed to distinguish the Insider releases version.

The most appropriate place for this would be MS. We are not Windows dev’s …
Why don’t you want to change to “Production” versions?

I mentioned power because I know two other cases where a very similar situation to yours and the same errors appeared. But since you exclude this problem …
Personally, I always prefer to make sure in practice that something can be ruled out than theoretically assumed that something is ok. Such and bigger strange things the IT world has seen … But of course the problem may be completely elsewhere.

Hi, I’ve been frequently receiving Store_Data_Structure_Corruption BSODs on a laptop that I’ve only had for about two weeks now, along with a handful of Whea Uncorrectable Error BSODs as well. Generally it’s when I’m using Premiere Pro. This was a pretty big upgrade for me and it’s a great computer otherwise, so all help is appreciated.

Computer:

Dell XPS 15 9570 4K Screen -i7-8750H - GTX 1050Ti 16GB RAM

I upgraded to the Samsung 970 EVO from the stock unit of 256GB, but didn’t use the original unit enough to see if there was any problem there. I also fresh installed windows on it.

I’m also undervolting the CPU by 150mV and the GPU by 100mV if that makes any difference.

Thanks!

Hey, for me it was that I was undervolting too much. I lowered the amount that I was reducing the voltage by and it stopped. Hope this helps!

Well, I am posting this topic to the Microsoft forums. But for some stupid reason(s), I’m unable to copy & paste the entire bloody article! >:( Which means I have to type it out! Not sure if this deliberate from Microsoft, or if it’s browser settings-related. Oh well, works cut out for me… -_-

You can also take a few minutes to test the settings in bios / eufi …

I’ve considered that, but I’m sure things there are fine. Like I said earlier- I’m not overclocking or anything; settings are left at stock.

I’ve been running Insider builds since Oct 1 2014…:wink: I recently got tired of the fast ring rat race ( after being on the treadmill for years) and dropped back to the release preview ring–where things are nice and stable. Your build is still buggy–and if you aren’t overclocking anything–and I mean anything–and you are still getting the GSOD’s, I’d say you’ve hit a bug relative to the build you are using and that’s what you see. I’m on build 18363.693, v1909–that’s the latest commercial build released to the public. I cannot remember my last GSOD. If you aren’t willing to beta test OS builds then either drop back to commercial or go to release preview. On RP ring, you won’t see v2004 until it’s a few weeks away from public release, in which case those bugs will be swatted and gone.