Windows hate thread

I’ve found with Workstation 15 a lot of DirectX games actually work without passthrough, just using the vmware svga 3d driver inside the VM.

Stalker
Vampire The Masquerade Bloodlines
DIablo 1
Neverwinter Nights 2 (not quite perfectly, similar view awkwardness to DA:O)

All work perfectly

Dragon Age: Origins works but the mouse freaks out a bit when spinning the view around. But i think that works via Proton mostly now anyway.

Been playing a bit of subnautica via proton this week…

Had to inventory my boss’ Surface today. No serial number visible on the outside, so I thought I’ll just login with my user ID and get the serial with wmic. And of course Windows decides it absolutely must install a freaking update. No choice given, just as soon as the credentials are entered - BAM! - reboot. And of course my boss was already logged in working on some important project or other.

Fortunately my boss was understanding, and I didn’t get chewed out. But whoever designs Windows updates needs a long, painful tour of the underworld.

3 Likes

How do I hate thee; let me count the ways (in no particular order):
Microsoft business practices - don’t compete, either buy out, or (preferably) destroy the competition. See the Halloween Documents.
Quality control? We don’t need no stinkin’ QC - fire the testers!
Insecurity? Yeah, we’ve got (lots of) apps for that!
Every time I use a new USB port, Windows needs to install a new driver!
Whenever I insert a USB stick that was previously used in a Linux machine, Windows claims that my USB stick is defective and wants to do something (???) to it.
Now that they are capturing my every keystroke, will that finally enable them to produce something that has some semblance of user friendliness?
Speaking of keyloggers, why do we need eight dozen different flavors of telemetry?
Why is it that we only hear about Tim Cook pushing back against the FBI? Presumably, Microsoft rolls over and spreads their legs (with our data!), every time that the FBI knocks on the door.
Let’s see, a W10 license costs $109 (at New Egg) and I still have to put up with advertising???
Why must I be nagged about signing into my Microsoft account EVERY FRICKIN’ TIME I boot into Windows?

My personal number one peeve? The update process! Linux users, in particular, will recognize the Windows update process for the putrid, festering pile of excrement that it is.
Why must I reboot a half dozen times during the update process?!?!?!
This rebooting business is particularly inconvenient if your dual boot configuration does not boot Windows by default!
What is the story with security updates, which repeatedly refuse to install?
Why are my working programs uninstalled during the update process, without so much as a by-your-leave?
Why is unwanted software repeatedly re-installed during the update process?
Why do my hitherto functioning programs no longer work after a Windows update?
Why, in 2019, can’t I get productive work done, while my Windows box is updating?
Please sir, may I control when my W10 machine updates? “YOUR HARDWARE, THEY BELONG TO US … RESISTANCE IS FUTILE!”

If, as Microsoft claims, they now want to embrace Linux and open source, instead of tinkering with tacking on Linux kernels, why don’t they address the 800lb gorilla in the room … their horribly broken and antiquated update process?

Thankfully, unless you need to configure a gaming mouse, or play that game which does not yet run on Steam/Proton, the reasons for maintaining a Windows box are fast dwindling.

2 Likes

The only massive gripe is when MariaDB DB made my server hang at init 0 for like 60 minutes I powered it off corrupting a ton of data. I had a windows installation on the same device as my Linux one. After running FSCK and fixing a lot of the corruption I found that a ton of data on the windows partition was also corrupted. Odd right? So I did a chkdsk which found nothing wrong, except the Windows install was unusable after that point due to constant crashing/hanging from the power off corruption.

My only advice would be to ALWAYS put windows on a physically separate disk instead of partition.

1 Like

I hate that it is not the official operating system of all Apple products.

1 Like

I hate that the insider program has become their Beta testers.

I hate that every update I would have to find an ISO WITH the update already installed.

I hate that they would push updates to the Insiders A WEEK before they pushed them to the consumer.

I hate that settings are in nearly 3 or 4 different areas.

I hate that the registry is damn near impossible to deal with.

I hate that windows deleted my data because I moved my OneDrive folder.

I hate that I had to downgrade to Windows 7 so i could disable the updates just to play one game that I no longer play anymore because they went and made an update to the game and it no longer supports WINDOWS 7.

I hate that every damn time I clean my machine and don’t put the keyboard and mouse in the same ports, that I have to reinstall them, and it takes nearly 30 minutes.

I hate that Updates are FORCED. Unless you tell them that your internet is metered, and some other setting I forget.

I am so SICK AND TIRED of windows telling me it’s blocked a goddamned program from installing because it’s no longer supported by windows, yet, it has a compatibility tool that would run the program JUST FINE!

I ABSOLUTELY HATE THAT UPDATES ARE SO BROKEN I HAVE TO DOWNLOAD AN ISO WITH THE UPDATE!!! Just fix the damned update process!!

3 Likes

Preach!!!