Windows Games on Steam for Linux. [Proton client Testing grounds]

Download and install it with steam

New Proton Beta is getting pushed. Has the Stream Output winevulkan patches already.

Now if only Proton has foss_corefonts installed by default.

Edit: Initial testing with Nvidia 396.54.09 with Lutrisā€™ Esync Wine with additional patches is extremely promising. All Unity games work properly now graphics-wise.

I got Strange Brigade and Star Control: Origins free with my GPUā€¦ anyone know if they are working in steam?

Strange Brigade has Vulkan, so it will depend on whether Wine likes it. Similar to the bleeding edge issues with DOOM (2016)

If it has Denuvo, then thereā€™s going to be problems.

Thanks for responseā€¦
I looked thru the link in the OP and all the games that were included with my GPU are for windowsā€¦ go figure

Edit:
Itā€™s so bad with unsupported games, I am uninstalling every game and completely removing Steam from my Linux box.

I cannot believe even Valve is trying to meme people into writing workarounds for them to sell more games. This is just awful. I am so disappointed.

I guess Iā€™ll wait for more stuff to become native and available on GOG.

I tried to get battlefield bad company 2 going under steam with the setting belowā€¦ but after it says runningā€¦ nothing opens.

Can you try running it from the terminal?

how?
//ā€¦

Proton is just a game launcher right?

So if you were to open up a terminal and then run proton from the terminal you should be able to see error messages being displayed in the terminal.

Or maybe there is a log file for proton somewhere. Idk.

But for running it from the terminal, canā€™t you just enter the name in the terminal? I donā€™t know what itā€™s called. If itā€™s just called proton. Or proton-client.

Let me see if their are instructions for running proton from the terminal online.

Edit: looks like youā€™ll have to enter the full path. https://steamcommunity.com/app/221410/discussions/0/1734336452590828521/

1 Like

thanks to you and your linkā€¦ I got this farā€¦

1 Like

Looks like lots of boo boos.

Iā€™d need to google some more. :slight_smile:

I appreciate any help you can offer. Im at noob at gaming/steam/wine/proton ā€¦ makes for a pretty bad combo ATM

Although I can continue to play dota 2 and lose in the tutorialā€¦ lol

1 Like

It doesnt play well/rightā€¦ lots of things wrong
but I installed vulkan stuff and wineā€¦ and it finally startedā€¦
I thought steam was going to instal everything it needed for games to workā€¦but I guess not.

1 Like

That game may be running into 32bit address space limitations, as per this issue, which is unsolved:

2 Likes

I guess Iā€™ll be trying star control next and then possibly looking glassā€¦ im going to be in a world of hurt trying to get this stuff working lol

can we have a seperate forum subsection for individual game titles? wanna do a stand alone thread for a few games I wanna work on.

Iā€™ll be reinstalling fedora laterā€¦ I just found instructions for fedora 28 and steam

2 Likes

Iā€™ll bring it up with the rest of Leadership.

1 Like

We avoid adding more categories and suggest using tags normally

1 Like