Windows Games on Steam for Linux. [Proton client Testing grounds]

I have the same problem with the Blank GUI on GTA V.
I am not running WINE/Lutris or anything stand alone.
I have not looked at any potential workarounds.
I am just testing Steam Play Beta for basic functionality.

Hi,

I had the same question,
@Eden kindly supplied an answer to me.
see the following thread: The small linux problem thread
It would be good if you could look at DOOM 2016 on Vulkan because I just came to the conclusion it is broken.
I just completed testing.
Video and information to follow.
Thanks.

1 Like
  1. Warframe will not launch for me.

2. AION Free-to-Play. Aion Launcher GUI appears.

However when I click RUN GAME the status bar goes from 0 -> 100 and then the game shuts down.

Hi,

DOOM 2016 Testing on Fedora 28 with Mesa 18.3.0-devel drivers.

Note, these videos are unlisted. I would prefer to set them to private, and share them using password protection, based on sharing to gmail. I need to get this feedback out quickly. I can set the videos to private later.

System Specs are noted here:
GPU Drivers = Mesa 18.3.0-devel.
Motherboard = Z97 Deluxe.
CPU = i7-4790K.
GPU1 = Sapphire R9 Fury X.
GPU2 = PowerColor R9 Nano.
SSHD = 2TB Seagate.

Video 1.

Video 2.

I just uploaded the videos.
I will update the information / description in the videos first.
More explanation here ,later.

Bye.

So I now have a mighty need to install Linux on my mini PC and give this a go. Butā€¦ It is only Intel integrated Iris Pro 580 graphics. Is it worth entertaining this idea?

Is this the GPU?

The consumer version of the same.

Not sure what the difference is though, specs are pretty.much the same.

It is part of this.

You should possibly open separate post about this topic. I will move my replies there.

I guess you need to check if Graphics Drivers are available for it on your Linux Distro of choice. I think they should be but you should check. That Iris Pro iGPU supports DX12.

See:

This may be of some use:

1 Like

I cannot spend any more time testing for a while.
I have tested many games.
Please let me know how we get the testing feedback to Steam.
I have a LibreOffice Calc spreadsheet which summarizes all games tested, and details what needs fixed on some titles. I also have video recordings of various launch failures and error messages.
Thanks.

1 Like

Iā€™ve been lazyā€¦I been playing through dragon age origins again having fun. Morrigan is hotā€¦Claudia Black is a nice voice actor :slight_smile:

Coming on 2 weeks with one beta proton update but man my steam client is patching a lot :slight_smile:

Personally am waiting for Proton to move to a new upstream Wine rebase before testing again.

I have tried the game Grim Down under Ubuntu 18.04.

Only on the main screen the main character and other stuff textures were flickering. But the game runs perfectly without any major texture flickering. There are occasionally some minor texture flickering but they are hard to notice.

I have run the game on 2560x1080 with ultra settings. My hardware is:

• Core i7-4770
  • GTX 1070
  • 32GB RAM

Iā€™ve tried a few games today, first try since bsteam play released.
These are tested on a 2600X, R9 290, Manjaro, running the amdgpu module.

Ultra Street Fighter 4 - worked perfectly

Mortal Kombat X - worked perfectly, only tested for about 10 minutes. Previously on wine I had audio sync issues after a few rounds. Not sure if I tested it long enough.

Skyrim SE - worked perfectly. As expected since Iā€™ve been playing it for months under wine.

Doom 2016 - worked perfectly. better than I had it working under wine (used to do down to 5 - 10 fps). Had to force Vulkan using launch options, else it wouldnā€™t start. Weirdly, audio only works if I change my pulse audio to output analogue stereo instead of analogue 2.1. Only game that had this issue.

Puzzle Quest - perfect.

Double Dragon Neon - perfect.

Plant vs Zombies - nope. Wonā€™t start. Give an error about an incorrect directory or something like that.

Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon - nope. As expected, Uplay prevents this from working. Same problem I had with wine and lutris previously, the Uplay box becomes invisible and hangs. Definitely just a Uplay issue, because I downloaded a pirated copy and ran through wine without Uplay and it boots just fine, although performs badly.

Grim Dawn - upsetting. Game performance is amazing. But steam play seems to trip an anti piracy measure which prevents bosses appearing and canā€™t choose a character class. This doesnā€™t occur on vanilla wine, so Iā€™d a steam play specific problem for this game.

1 Like

Hi, Which version of AMD drivers are you running please?

Are you running amdgpu-pro drivers
or
Are you running Mesa Drivers ?

If I seem confused I probably am ā€¦
https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=amdgpu-pro-1710&num=1
https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=amdgpu-mix-match&num=1

I run Fedora 28 and I see terrible Vulkan performance on Doom 2016 running Mesa drivers but ~ OK performance with DOOM 2016 when it is set to run with OpenGL. Videos shown above.

Thanks.

Can relay, dark souls 2 and 3 work flawlessly. As do rain world, quake 3 and age of empires 2 hd.

1 Like

this game works fine, refer to this list.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1DcZZQ4HL_Ol969UbXJmFG8TzOHNnHoj8Q1f8DIFe8-8/htmlview?sle=true#gid=0
use the launch option --changedir

But plants vs zombies seems to work better under wine than proton, at least for me.
Under wine AKA launching from windows steams running under wine. I get native windows performance.

under proton i get choppy performance.

Hunt Showdown - just purchased. Does not work under Steam Play Beta. Thought it would work since it is a Crytek game.

Here is my very first run of the game in Windows 10 Pro 18.03 with AMD Adrenalin 18.8.2 driver.

I understand that Hunt Showdown is a AAA Pre-Release title from Crytek.

However I would be very grateful if others could try this title out and see if it will run on Steam Play Beta with their Linux distribution.

I think Hunt Showdown will be a popular AAA title when it is released.
I purchased it to try out on Steam Play Beta today.
I have had a number of people asking me to try it out.

It might be a good idea if Steam could get Hunt Showdown working with Steam Play Beta to promote Linux as an alternative gaming platform to Windows 10.

Thanks.

I actually had the exact issue you are seeing in your video a couple months ago when I played DOOM using lutris + wine + dxvk. The fps counter rapidly changing and then suddenly performance drops to 7 - 12fps. I worked around this at the time by alt+tab out of the game, close lutris, and then back into the game, no more problem.
But with steam play, which yesterday was the only time Iā€™ve spent with it so far, I havenā€™t seen the issue occur.

Iā€™m using the amdgpu driver supplied with kernel. I did need to force amdgpu instead of radeon driver by modifying /etc/mkinitcpio.conf to load amdgpu drivers first.

kernel version 4.17.19
mesa 18.1.7
LLVM 6.0.1
Proton 3.73

I play at 2560x1440, and have no issues holding 60fps.

Yes, youā€™re right. Just needed to add -changedir to launch options.

However Iā€™m not having any peformance issues. Especially not like mentioned in that sheet, peopel are saying 5-7 fps. Iā€™m not seeing anything like that.
I donā€™t have an FPS counter on it, but it seems exactly as I remember when I played it years ago.

Looks like crap stretched to 27" 2560x1440 though, but what can you do.

Well just run it in plain old wineā€¦ I get native windows performance with no stretching that way.