Windows Games on Steam for Linux. [Proton client Testing grounds]

Archlinux with Nvidia GTX970 Driver 396.54-1

1. Astroneer

• Game runs great, played it for 3 hours
    • I did experience some lags early in the game, but I think that’s not related to Proton.
  2. No Man’s Sky

• Game runs pretty smoothly. have not tested all feature,s only played it for 10 mins.

Could not figure out how to make my XBox Wireless Controller works in games. It surely recognize the controller, some buttons works, some button remap, some are just missing. I tried copy my xinput dll to game binary folder but no luck. I’ve made my controller worked in Astroneer and No Man’s Sky before when using Lutris.

1 Like

You can downgrade GTA-SA to V1 if you have a legit copy

I highly doubt mods will work as ive never really gotten them too but maybe proton will work.

Crysis Warhead works, same story as with Crysis. The Initial video sequence runs badly. I can run it no problem at enthusiast settings. Video captured.

DOOM:

vulkan-utils 1.1.73
llvm-7
Nvidia 396.54
ubuntu 18.04 (4.15.0-33-generic)

greeted with a black screen. wine crashes a few mins afterwards. neither +com_skipIntroVideo 1 or +r_renderAPI 1 made any difference.

DOOM as in DOOM 2016?
If it is I will look at it on an Nvidia card later.
I focus on AMD R9 Fury X & below cards for now.
I have skipped purchase of Vega cards so far.

I have dual booted with Windows for gaming for years, however starting recently with the release of Steam Play I am going all in on Linux! I have quite a large library (439 games currently) and will be testing all the games I have to see how well they run. Here are the few I have so far, and I will be updating this as I continue to test these!

My PC:
i7-4790k
EVGA z97 FTW
16GB DDR3
EVGA NVIDIA GeForce 1060 (NVIDIA 396.54 drivers)
Ubuntu 18.04.1

Playable:

• 10 Second Ninja
    Works perfectly.

• Alan Wake
    Runs smoothly, no graphical errors. However sound is messed up.

• Another Perspective
    Works perfectly.

• Antihero
    Runs smoothly, no graphical errors. However sound is messed up.

• ASTRONEER
    Runs perfectly.

• DOOM (2016)
    Runs smoothly, I found no issues with it.

• The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
    Runs mostly smoothly, however the sound is entirely broken. Occasional graphical bugs, the worst of which is not being able to see ANYTHING underwater.

• INFRA
    The first map (office) crashes the game, however skipping that and going to the “start” of the actual game it works perfectly.

• The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
    Runs with no issues, however performance isn’t great.

Un-Playable:

• ABZU
    Doesn’t launch.

• Assassin’s Creed II
    Doesn’t launch.

• Audiosurf
    Launches, but crashes when loading.

• Fallout: New Vegas
    Doesn’t really work, you can get to the main menu, however once you try to start a game the screen will just be black.

• Far Cry 3
    Won’t go past the Uplay launcher.

• Far Cry 5
    Won’t launch.

• Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
    Game runs decently, however the mouse is broken and constantly makes you look up.

• Warframe
    Doesn’t launch.

1 Like

Hey, we have a thread for sharing this info.

3 Likes

Ah, thank you! There is quite a lot more activity on this than I had thought, so I have added what I have found to there, and will continue adding to the spreadsheet as I test more games. However I would like to keep this as well, as I plan on using this as reference for myself to see how my experience has changed with these games after updates to Proton.

Valve just added their first update to Proton today…

There should now be an option for 3.7-4 Beta.

2 Likes

Cyberdimension Neptunia 4 Godess Online works fine but controller support (which is shady on Windows anyway) doesn’t work.

OpenSUSE TumbleWeed and R9 390 Hawaii XT on amdgpu.

I think that I will probably have to use winetricks to add controller support for this one.

Dark Souls III works great at 1080p Ultra.
Some texture blanking on Trees (the tree trunks go black).
Might be a Vram limitation on the R9 Fury X with 4GB HBM.

i have that trouble too - i think just plugging it in would work, but it is pretty frustrating.

Death Rally works. Video taken. No issues seen.

Hey does anybody know if PUBG works and or is willing to test it?

Great. Windows 10 is a nightmare from update reliability issues, lack of conmtrol of your os and zero privacy. I have taken the same decision. I am also testing as much as I can.

Dishonored Works great., Video recorded.
Interesting that Dishonored 2 did not launch for me.
I think I may go back and recheck that next.
Based on what I see with Crysis 1 and Crysis Warhead testing, Vokoscreen running might be causing some launch problems. Also I note that steam updated since yesterday.

Anyhow, I am getting more and more impressed with this Steam Plays Beta the more I test it.

Bye.

@anon97550313 sorry for spam but fo4 is not on the list , tested and working

FFXIV work after using winetricks xact and enabling the usual workarounds (disabling cutscenes and setting browsertype to 2 on the ini files).

However… graphics stop working if I enable “Real Time Reflections”. Does not even need to be high or maximum. Enabling any level of this particular option freezes the game and X11. I can still log into through SSH and there are these messages:

[  384.698959] [drm:amdgpu_job_timedout [amdgpu]] *ERROR* ring gfx timeout, last signaled seq=202749, last emitted seq=202751
[  384.698964] [drm] GPU recovery disabled.

GPU is Saphire R9 390. System is OpenSUSE Tubleweed with kernel 4.18.0-1, using amdgpu and Mesa 18.1.6 LLVM6.

AMDGPU is still very experimental for GCN1&2 cards

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xorg#AMD

Nice call :slight_smile:
We may need to slow our roll on works and does not because just Skyrim SE for me;
Yesterday: 5-10 FPS unplayable. Sound effects but no music or voice acting.
Today: 60 FPS v-sync pegged but still sound only from effects, no voice or music.

If value are serious we may have good times ahead and I hope there collecting data on what games we are trying.

2 Likes