Windows Games on Steam for Linux. [Proton client Testing grounds]

No wonder why the DLLs for DXVK were 50MB and 70MB respectively.

On Fedora 28, default AMD Drivers. R9 FuryX, i74790K,Asusz97 Deluxe,32GB Ram, 2TB SSD.

1. Alien Versus Predator Classic 2000. It launches. It runs. I can change the Screen Resolution to 1080p, that runs. I have a video recording.
    I did see a few issues.

ALT Tabbing from the game over to the Vokoscreen recorder and back to the game. There was a constant rolling left bias to the mouse control, i.e. if I left the mouse stationary, the character would look left and up.

Also I managed to get one instance of totally black screen after changing resolution. killing the game and restarting it - everything worked again.

Overall I could live with it. I just made all my games available, installed it, and it launched and ran.

1. Ashes of the Singularity Escalation. Installs, Launches, the Stardock menu launches. Trying to use settings file fails. Launch in Safe Mode fails. After a while the Stardock menu turns into small section of the steam menu. Bizzare.
    Totally broken.

2. Sniper Elite 4. I get a message saying I do not have the correct video card for the direct 11 Driver - I have a video of that.

3. 3D Mark Firestrike. Starts to launch. Immediately shuts down. If I force 64 bit I get as far as the 3d mark launch screen. It stays there.

4. Crysis 2 maximum edition - testing next.

That’s something valve is going to have to work on. Perhaps putting an option in a similar position to verifying game cache. Per title of course.

1 Like

Retested Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy with the fixed DXVK and the problem remains that a newer upstream Wine version has threaded workflow fixes that 3.7 doesn’t have. Once Proton is rebased with a newer upstream Wine, the performance should be more consistent in this game.

1 Like

Where are these files located?

Yeah, there definitely needs to be some sort of refresh or install/ uninstall for Proton installs.

1 Like

delete the appid folder from steamapps/compatdata and it should reset the proton portion of a game. This will include any user made tweaks

4 Likes

Thanks, found it!

I just use SteamDB to find the game ID for each title: https://steamdb.info/apps/

1 Like

could you test if that works. I don’t want to reinstall my games again, some are huge in size.

1 Like

Yup. I just deleted the compatdata file for Doom 2016 (APPID: 379720) and relaunched the game, and it works again.

You might want to put this information in the OP.

2 Likes

Windows games are still installed in steamapps/common and the wine prefix is just in steamapps/compatdata/APPID/. no reinstall would ever be necessary unless your dealing with a very weird bug.

1 Like

Can also just enable the URL in the steam client and just visit the store page

2 Likes

Right, that’s even easier. Thanks for the tip.

2 Likes

Crysis 2 maximum edition - runs great on Ultra 1080p.
I am not surprised as Crysis runs on WINE for years.
Can’t set ultra textures.
Need to know good way to control GPU Fan and power limit …
The card is currently running at default settings.
Should perform much better if I could set correct power and fan curve.
Will look at that later.

1 Like

So I made progress with Skyrim SE. I had to enable “experimental” support for amdgpu in my kernel options and add an entry for amdgpu in xorg.conf.d. But now I have Vulkan support, and can at least start the game. At first I just had music and no voices. However I applied “winetricks xact” trick again and I got audio…for a while. However, after several minutes audio craps out again and characters stop talking to my avatar altogether. Their lips don’t move, there’s no subtitle text and whatever script is running them halts where it is. It’s very weird, and disappointing. The framerate is much better with DXVK than it is with Oldrim and the DX10 support baked into Wine.

On the plus side, Oldrim runs a little better with the amdgpu driver. No audio problems there. I can live with Oldrim despite the drastically lower framerate if I can get a mod manager to run.

1 Like

Dragon Age: Origins
Works fine…Played for a hour or so.

Dragon Age: Origins - Awakening
Loads launcher but all settings tried wont launch the game

1 Like

Rayman Origins

Here’s another 2D platformer that works surprisingly well. It runs at a steady 60fps on my system for the most part. The framerate only dips when the game is trying to auto save between levels. But the actual game runs fine and works with a game controller.

2 Likes

Dishonored 2. Launches Syncs. Stops.

1 Like

fallout 4 works and syncs

@anon97550313 because i did not see on the list
3 Likes

Ashes of the Singularity Classic starts the launcher which gives option for DX11 and DX12. Tried both separately. Both fail to launch.
Hoping the next one I try will work. …
Seems more miss than hit so far… only three of the games I tested have worked.
(1). DOOM 2016.
(2). Alien Versus Predator Classic Edition.
(3). Crysis 2 Maximum Edition.

1 Like

The surge works but there are bugs… controller support complete controls fine and no frame issues just no models

any help on fixing this?

2 Likes