Windows Explorer + Right Mouse Click Annoyance

So I’ve seen this annoyance occur on both my Gaming Rig and my new Workstation, both are running Windows 10 Pro.

What happens after an extended period of time the right mouse click context menus disappear on me,

It mainly occurs after extended uses of copying/pasting files/folders etc.

Looks like the above, just closing all the open file explorer windows and opening again doesn’t resolve the issue, only a reboot of the machine.

It’s almost like the OS has gone sideways here.

I’ve had this happen using both the default Windows Shell and the updated Classic Shell replacement.

I don’t recall this being an issue with either Windows 7 nor Windows 8/8.1 but I could be wrong.

Any thoughts ?

2 Likes

That is wacky!

Have you tried re-installing? You could also try to grab the latest updates as it could be a bug they have fixed since the release?

Was there any software that you installed recently that would trigger behavior like this? (Wallpaper programs, content menu editors?, etc?)

Indeed I have multiple times to no avail, the only solution so far has to just do a reboot of the machine.

The weird part is that it was happening on both my Gaming Rig and Workstation, however I recently replaced my Workstation with a Threadripper 2950x and I have not seen it yet.

The other difference is that I killed the Windows Update process on my gaming rig so it’s still on an older Windows 10 build, where as I have completely upgraded my new Workstation build, so this might have something to do with it.

At some point if I don’t see this happening on my new Workstation then I will update Windows on my gaming rig and see if this fixes it, maybe there was some kind of Windows Explorer issue that got resolved that is triggering this ?