Windows "9" ... Have you played around with it?

You may have seen Linus's video on Windows 8.1 Embedded Industry Pro. I just wanna know has anyone played around with it, and is it worth going to from Windows 7?

I happen to have a licence for it thanks to Microsoft Imagine program, and am seriosly considering to switch to it. Is there any reason not to?

@wendell Any info on this from the man behind the screens himself?

2 Likes

IMO a decrapified 8.1 is a better solution, just because some programs will not play nice since its not consumer windows, such as Dues Ex Mankind Divided which Linus showed doesn't play nice.

2 Likes

I tried out Win 7 embedded back in the day. That thing was so frugal on RAM.

1 Like

And I totaly agree. I don't need it to play nice with everything.. Just a few IDEs (Eclipse, Codeblocks...), a few editors and a game here or there. The main reason for switching IMO is exactly the decrapification.

Hopefully this one isn't :S

1 Like

Obligatory Linux suggestion.

9 Likes

I do have experience with it. I work on Ubuntu every day. IMO Linux is wrong in two things:

1) Too much hasle
2) It's an unorganized, unlogical and chaotic mess.

Don't get me wrong. The ideology of Linux I support. The implementation of it is where I say nope.
I cannot wait to find a distro that is actually pratical and that proves me wrong. It's just that none seemed to do it so far.

If you do have a suggestion, I am open for it :)

EDIT: Before anyone goes there, I did try out other distros, from Arch to Mint.. Still nothing there :D

2 Likes

Windows 10 LTSB N (hard to find, but does exist, and is fantastic). Basically Window's 10, with no Microcock apps installed, and none will install, even after updates.

Some applications/games won't support the O.S, so don't expect everything to work, especially some of the "less popular" applications.

Windows 8.1 Enterprise N is also pretty good, however, won't be as de-bloated as Windows 10 LTSB N, if that's what you're wanting.

1 Like

Challenge accepted.
I have a legit key for LTSB from work, I just don't use it. I probably will when I reinstall my work computer.

2 Likes

LTSB is easy to find. I can't find LTSB N from a reputable source, after hours of looking. I've only been able to find it on TPB so far. LTSB and LTSB N are different O.S'.

Also, wanna share that LTSB key? ;)

2 Likes

Linux is Love, Linux is Life.

I already found it in some russian site, I'mma just get it and sha-1 compare it
As for the Key, no can do. Work agreements prohibit me from that.

2 Likes

I don't mind if you get fired. 🙂

/s

2 Likes

And waste this opportunity to offload an MSDN subscription to my training levy in the future? no way.

Windows? Nein!

2 Likes

Arch and mint? Or more? Those aren't great choices. It be interesting to know what your two issues are, there kind of vague.

On your op, what's wrong with windows 10?

Could you maybe, um, share those results?
Pleeeaase.
PM would be fine if it's against forum rules to post it here.

From what I see he basically just copy-pasted this: https://eastcoast.hosting/Windows9/, not sure why they even have a guide on their forums for doing this.

I would say the best you can do is to install an Enterprise N version of Windows, isn't this the version with the least amount of crap pre-installed?
There is also this amazing script here: https://gist.github.com/alirobe/7f3b34ad89a159e6daa1

My Solution: Learn C so I can work on ReactOS.

I'm serious too, even if it takes another 15 years to become a stable Win Server 2k3 clone, it would still be a good OS, it could start in legacy hardware support that doesn't have Linux or NT 6.x Drivers and the community might make open source drivers for it, Once it's a stable NT 5.2 Clone, it wouldn't be much of a stretch to make it NT 5.2+

1 Like

Windows 9?

I suppose thats some kind of fake news right?

1 Like