Windows 8.2 to bring back Start Menu (supposedly, again...)

Even though most people (not including me) hate the net start screen, you can't deny it's  innovating. Look at the hardware market. We are seeing more Tablets, Hybrids, and touchscreens. Whether you like that idea or not, it's something different. But what I really want to see is this: http://eiskis.net/windows9

Very good, dude. I saw that a while ago, when that site first debuted.

However, let's expand on it a bit. For touchscreen, great, let people who have touchscreen-enabled devices use TouchUI or whatever else they call it. For keyboard and mouse, let them use something else. When Windows detects your monitor or tablet has touchscreen using it's drivers, it can switch or just ask the user. Auto-detect and auto-swtich or just ask the user if all three are present which one he'd like to use when he connects one of the trio which was absent beforehand.

I wouldn't mind having something like WindowsKey + Tab as a shortcut to bring up a list of my various desktops. It would simplify navigation a lot.

(I'm actually thinking that if I can learn OpenGL, OpenCL and/or DirectX that maybe I might try to make something like BumpTop, except that it would run an alternative Task Manager, alternative interface to Explorer and Windows, it would use copy operations like TeraCopy, have delete operations like Eraser for permanently deleting things, etc. That way I could easily give a flexible, customizable interface for PowerUsers that fully utilizes the power of one's CPU and GPU in mid-range and high-end systems, so that they're optimized for productivity, running in highly parallelized mode whenever possible (for maximum performance, using Multi-Threaded coding and OpenCL), and so people can have all the desktop bling they want. It would mean Windows 7 and Windows 8 could just run this application, and now they'd have a desktop UI that replaces all the stuff that comes in vanilla Windows.

Basically, think of StarDock's desktop Fences, ModernMix, windows theme programs, custom start menu, and also adding support for custom user-made themes (for modders and tweakers).

Also, by making it into an application that could even run in portable mode (like on a flash drive) and storing data locally on said flash drive (for settings and so forth), and by loading all pertinent files into RAM or temporary HDD storage, one could save oneself from having to install this program. It would mean a now any Windows 8 desktop you run into could look and feel like your desktop at home (minus the programs, documents and other files), although adding some encryption, a list of installed programs (and their respective download links and adding them as hyperlinks), and some cloud-sync support might help. In other words, it could just encrypt all your information, send it to GoogleDrive once it's encrypted, and then download/sync it whenever you run this app anywhere with an internet connection.

By making it into an app, no more worries about bad UI. No more worries about lack of software functionality. Just use a program in full-screen mode that uses Windows APIs to effectively replace (read: definitively upgrade) the vanilla Windows UI.

Anyways, enough about that idea. It's something that I've been wanting to do for a while, but I don't know where to get started, I don't know what to learn to achieve this, what skills I'd need, etc. (If anyone likes this idea, feel free to take it up. If anyone can answer any of my questions, giving me links to free PDFs for me to read, written or video tutorials for me to read/watch, and any other helpful links/info that could help would be a big help. Thanks in advance.)

I'm not fust. I like the button and I like the metro, just make up you minds on what one where going to have to use microsoft!

J gork, why is that video blocked for me for where I live in which is the usa.

Not sure...are you on a mobile device? Because sometimes I go to watch one of my videos on my Droid and it says video unavailable on mobile.

You are so dramatic, metro isn't that bad

In my mind, there should be a setting, like a radio button saying make Windows desktop/touch friendly. That way we could choose which one we want on the same OS. Plus, there is more choice which is always nice.

+1. I just want to have the option to completely disable Metro stuff. I can boot to desktop, great, but when I open up a photo it still goes to the Metro app for it and now I"m in Metro.

I had to manually go in and make sure each photo type opens up in windows photo viewer by default. Just silly.

I know I was being dramatic. That was one of the reasons for this parody.

However, the skepticism about Microsoft being able to create a UI made *for* their core users, rather than a UI designed to be eye-catching for people who don't own a computer (and probably don't because they prefer tablets and smartphones anyways) is real. If Microsoft just stopped with the nonsensical UI designed for a product (touchscreens) which have proven to be frustrating for users, and which aren't cheaply or readily available on the market is just a stupid idea.

Microsoft got the mouse to become popular, because it was widely available. But touchscreens are expensive, clunky, and hard to find. You find awkward solutions involving USB and DVI-D for example, which just doesn't work. Honestly, DisplayPort at least has enough bandwidth in the AUX channel to create a USB 2.0 passthrough with even a bit more room to spare (720 Mbps, versus USB 2.0's 480 Mbps).

Yeah. That would be nice. I think Windows could just auto-detect touchscreen-enabled monitors, and once detected, gives the user the option to switch. Maybe an icon on the bottom-right of the taskbar, or maybe something on the ModernUI right bar? Something to give users the choice would be amazing. With auto-detect, it could facilitate things for users installing the OS and it would also help people make their PC adapt to them, rather than forcing users to adapt to Windows.

To fix that, right click on any image file and go to "Open With" and then select "Choose Default Program". Then select "Windows Photo Viewer" instead of "Photos" (Metro Version)