Windows 7 or 8

I'm planning on building a PC soon once i get the money because right now i'm using a laptop with a shattered panel... but i was wondering if i should buy windows 7 or 8? because i've herd that windows 8 has better performance in games (witch is this pcs main purpose).  

Windows 8.1 with startisback, unless you don't mind the vanilla GUI.

I like cherry flavored pez..... just saying....

Windows 8.1 and don't worry about the start menu. Once you learn the new OS and set a few things up to your liking, you'll realize you don't need and won't miss the start menu. ;)

It's personal preference honestly.  I prefer 7, others like 8.  The performance difference is fairly marginal in real world situations, to the point where you likely wouldn't be able to tell the difference (depends on the individual though).  If you have any friends that have each OS, or if you can make it out to a store that has computers with each OS on display, I'd suggest trying them out.  They're both relatively stable, light on resources and perform well.  So technically speaking, they are both fine.  For most users really comes down to the UI and some basic organizational differences.

So, try em both out and see which one you prefer if possible.  If not, then go with your gut I suppose.  

Windows 8. Why? Because in the next years, Windows 8 is going to support more technologies than Windows 7. I am a die-hard Windows 7 fan, but went with 8 on my new build. I have had zero issues with all of my games and programs, in fact I find it more fun, flexible, stable and informative than windows 7. That being said, all of the new Direct X updates are going to be geared towards Windows 8. I was very hesitant to switch to 8 reading reviews, but since I switched, I like 8 much better. It took me about 20 minutes to learn everything. The only thing missing is the Start Button, but StartisBack fixes that. Just torrent it. Good luck with your choice

Good advice, but I'm pretty sure that link violates TS's rules...

https://teksyndicate.com/forum/rules-guidelines-faq/site-wide-rules/140612

It would probably be a good idea to remove that.

I know it boils down to personal preference and I mean no offense to those who I speak of, but I just don't get the obsession with bringing back the start menu layout/functionality from Windows 7 and prior. 

Sure, keeping things familiar is good for those who don't like or deal with change very well. But with change comes optimization and forward movement. I'm sure most people here on TS are fairly computer literate and could easily learn the new OS in a matter of minutes, even without instruction. So I don't think it's a matter of "I'm not familiar with it and therefore want it to function like what I'm used to." 

I rarely ever switch to the metro screen and the only time I do is to search for something. They've made it extremely easy as you simply just start typing. Overall I've found Windows 8 to be much simpler, faster and more optimized in terms of organisation of functionality.

Perhaps someone could help me understand why the old start menu system is such a big deal for some people?

You sort of answered your own question and contradicted yourself. Because people don't like change and because it is familiar, but also because of accessibility and freedom of choice. Instead of clicking all over the screen all you have to deal with is the bottom left corner of your screen. Yes, the Start Screen is relativity easy to use, but I don't need it taking over my whole desktop. The individual tiles aren't even labeled. That's why I use StartisBack. I work from my computer and find it much easier to use a start menu vs the start screen. It's too bulky and obnoxious for me. "I just don't get the obsession with bringing back the start menu layout/functionality from Windows 7 and prior".  Same concept, open the start menu and just start typing. That isn't an original Windows 8 feature, they took that from Windows 7 because it's good and it works. So your actually using many features that appeared in Windows 7. Having to click all over my screen instead of just in the bottom-left corner isn't what I would call optimization. Why should I be forced to use something that I don't need or don't want? With the amount of money that Microsoft makes you would think that adding a start menu option would be obvious for people like me who prefer it and have been using it since 1994.

I suppose you're right, I did basically answer my own question. And simply put, the choice is yours. 

I guess a lot of it depends on how you use your machine and what you're doing with it. The way I have mine setup; it goes straight to desktop on boot and because I have everything I use and need pinned to the task bar (with very few exceptions directly on the desktop), I have no need to ever use the start menu or start search function. Only very rarely. But because I never use it, I see no need to bring the old start menu system back, personally. 

To each his/her own. :)

Sure, keeping things familiar is good for those who don't like or deal with change very well. But with change comes optimization and forward movement...

I understand what you're trying to say, but when that change hinders productivity, then I have problems with said change.  I do not like the new GUI simply because it slows me down.

Definitely, I get that.

My reasoning comes from my own experience in that with Windows 7 and 8, I don't even use that portion of the GUI in the first place (only occasionally), so it makes little difference to me in terms of productivity. 

Just out of curiosity; what would you be doing or working on that requires you to constantly use the start menu system? 

It's not necessarily a requirement.  It's simply a familiarity issue.  I can deal with the Windows 8 default GUI, but I prefer not to.  For me, the start menu has better organization.  Everything I need is located in a small window to the left of my screen.

I guess I'm reiterating what others have stated previously.  It's personal preference. If you like it, by all means, use it.  :)

Well that's the thing. I don't use either (the "old" start menu, nor the new metro start menu). I find it easier and quicker to click (once) to open something, which I have pinned to the task bar (all at the bottom left in one relatively small area) rather than opening a menu and navigating to find the program I need. I'm not asking why use the old start menu instead of the new metro start menu. I'm asking why use either if neither is necessary. You still answered the question though, thanks. I just wanted to clarify what I meant. :)

I do agree, however, that the "old" start menu is a very clean and efficient way of organizing your programs etc. Especially if you have a mountain of programs you use on a regular basis. Keeps everything looking clean and tidy. ;)

8.1 with start is back    i approve this message

I recently installed windows 8.1 and it's booting up much faster than windows 7, which I had before and I'm using the same hard drive. And I haven't had any problems with something yet. Before I got windows 8/8.1 I didn't like how it looked but now I'm used to it and it's good that you now can boot directly to the desktop with 8.1! 

I recently updated to 8.1 from 7 and was nervous I was gonna hate it but truth be told i love it. It took me no time at all to learn it and customize it to my liking. 100% happy with 8.1 without the start menu. The way it works it doesn't need one. 

I'm not asking why use the old start menu instead of the new metro start menu. I'm asking why use either if neither is necessary.

Oh okay, I understand now.  I think you pretty much answered your own question in the next paragraph lol.

I do agree, however, that the "old" start menu is a very clean and efficient way of organizing your programs etc. Especially if you have a mountain of programs you use on a regular basis.

Exactly.  I can't pin all the applications I use on the task bar, and I like to keep my desktop clean.