Windows 7 finally dead

It sounds like computing isn’t your thing, tbh.

AFAIK, until the Linux kernel Windows OS comes out, they’re keeping the name. They might eventually just call it Windows or Windows Desktop.

I think a healthy bit of optimism will go a long way. I don’t administer my Windows box anymore, just run updates now and then. 0 issues across Intel and AMD chipsets.

Yeah I only really browse the web and play games and discord, some very light image editing and media consumption.

I am by no mean a power user but for what an OS is mean to do it is doing a fantastically bad job of just staying out of the way and letting me get on with my tasks. But I find this of every OS today. None are just install and go, they always have things that get in the way. The options should be there for those that need them but not necessary for the basic user to ever have to poke at but here we are, frequently telling other users to open a command line and write cryptic bits of letters and symbols that mean nothing to a layman but can break a system.

I’ve been having issues trying to automate upgrades to W10 at work. What method are people finding works best to mass deploy upgrades? Preferably without having to pull down the iso from the internet each time?

W7sp1 with updates turned off. Still works great!

Testing ltsc now because eventually mfg will not support drivers. If it minded my preferences ltsc would almost be a good substitute.

Way ahead of you, lol.

1 Like
1 Like

Since I’m an always updated kinda person, i can’t say I’ll miss it.
I also had many more problems with Windows 7 in comparison with 10.

1 Like

Windows 7 was way more problematic for me too, though to be fair I was also less informed then.

2 Likes

Yep, same with me, perhaps that clouds up our judgement a little.
I also theorize a lot of problems people have with W10 is either lack of care or just plain lack of experience.

1 Like

KDE Plasma or Cinnamon will be the way to go.

@Ethernet_Warrior lmfao that video is gold

1 Like

I enjoyed Win7. There was like 5-6 years when I didn’t have the internet, and it seemed pretty stable, so I don’t know if updates caused issues, but it worked pretty well

1 Like

DDE imo better windows like and the GUI settings are actually good unlike Ubuntu gnome shit clicking a setting and nothing happening having to go over to terminal to edit the setting and then breaking ur install

1 Like

Afraid I don’t know what you’re referring to

1 Like

Deepin desktop environment dde

I’ve stopped recommending Ubuntu gnome for windows refugees and recommending deepin for the GUI and new user exp

No thanks

Several security vulnerabilities were reported with Deepin and the developers did not respond.

Sounds like Chinese spyware :tinfoil:

2 Likes

DDE is quite entertaining sometimes lol

Ubuntu Gnome for Windows refugees may be a bit hard to learn, the interface has a learning that some users find hard to pick up.
My pick for Windows refugees is Netrunner.

Never seen this plus it was telemetry they grabbed you give for Google chrome for deepin “spyware” which was debunked later in 2019 I’ll find the post this is old scare “China spy news”

Their d-bus vulnerabilities look pretty serious.

Comment from their audit

The security team is currently under a high load of reviews so it may take a
while until we can take care of this one.

Polkit Action vulnerabilities

The privilege is not listed in /etc/polkit-default-privs.* which makes it
[ 556s] harder for admins to find. Furthermore polkit authorization checks can easily
[ 556s] introduce security issues. If the package is intended for inclusion in any
[ 556s] SUSE product please open a bug report to request review of the package by the
[ 556s] security team

Authorization abuse with little to no logging in a convoluted system.

1 Like

Still no in or outbound connection can be made to the service so is non issue

Fearmonger