Windows 7 finally dead

Enjoyed 7’s simplicity from a GUI stand point, but most of that can be achieved from classic shell.

But no more broken updates, waiting 5min for windows to figure out a driver for a mouse or keyboard… I’m afraid to know how much time I’ve wasted trying to deal with 7…

My only gripe with 10 is if MS can pull the trigger on merging settings and control panel… just get it over with.

1 Like

I will have to agree with you on that, the reluctance to modernize the control panel seems counter intuitive to their overreaching goals with Windows 10. Not that I prefer the sometimes obtuse complexity of the Windows 10 specific settings windows, but it does entirely make sense to just finish the rollover instead of leaving legacy frameworks in place.

Windows 2000 is still the best Windows version to date. Stable, very little bloat (comparatively speaking).

4 Likes

A man of culture. 100% agree. W2000 was my most fav Windows to date. To borrow Apple slogan: It just works(-ed).

W10 is not bad, it came a long way since early days, but… you have to keep it on very short leash. Locking out WU is the most important thing. Since I stopped updating I have pretty nice experience. I refuse to reconfigure basically whole system after each major update, from fonts to printers and registry. If I want a wipe, I’ll do it myself M$ artards. After last major update early last year I found 2 months later what it screw totally when started working on a new project… only possible in Abomination 10.

Unfortunately switching to Linux is not an option for lack of cross-platform software support, just like MacOS (no nVidia suport), oh and I would switch… in a jiffy.

I still have one W7 machine on X99. Won’t be upgrading to 10. Not worth time and effort. Not running anything critical, haven’t upgraded in ages. Bohooho M$ :money_mouth_face: no suport, like I care about that and W7 wasn’t super great either. Especially now with all NVMe drives W7 shows its age as there is basically only support for two - intel750 and samsung 950. Technically you can extract drivers from Samsung exe (which I did) and use 960 or 970 on 7 (as boot device), but… yeah nobody would do that on serious work machine where you need reliability and support.

WIndows 8.1 with classicshell is very nice
it’s only lacking DX12, but you can restrict Microsoft spyware more easily
it’s my gaming goto, because windows 10 is a nogo.

1 Like

I can’t see M$ making a better OS, probably some linux distro will do it at distant future…

10 is a huge improvement on 8.x, which was a huge improvement on 7.

Check it out sometime.

Close second.

Windows 10
Windows 2000
Windows XP SP3

Aside from the UI changes 7, 8.1, and 10 might as well all been the same. I’ve never had an issue with any of them that wasn’t my own fault.

Although this thread reminds me that I need to check my parents’ computer, I’m pretty sure it’s on 7. My parents are pretty bad at not clicking sketchy links.

1 Like

As much as I am having it shouted at me in here just reading the replies, win7 was the most stable, easiest to get along with and most sense to use of any windows I have used (3.1, 95 98, XP, 7, 8.1, 10) 8.1 and 10 are close but the annoyance of 8.1 (which I am still using for now) and the insanity/rage inducement the win10 menus caused put them behind 7 for me.

Set a setting in win10, well have to apply multiple times before it will take and possible in more than one menu, no telling which one will be the right one or if next time that same menu will work like it did last time or even exist, and then it updates and undoes everything again. Yay! BEST WINDOWS EVER!!!11!1!!|||[][[[]!!!1111!

:thonk:

Sounds like PEBKAC, tbh. But I get it, not everyone can be awesome like @Adubs.

Windows 7 caused me more BSOD than 2000, XP, Vista, 8.x, and 10 combined. Since I’ve used Win10 I’ve only had one BSOD and that was because of Battle-Eye being dog shite.

Never had an issue with settings, except on a couple of major upgrades. Even then it took 2 seconds to toggle two or three switches.

O&O ShutUp10 and GPO are persistent options through upgrades.

I know right? Like how do people manage to fuck 7 worse than every other one, it baffles me.

Probably due to their driver recommendations and support not being that great. That was generally my experience.

And mine was the complete opposite. I have had those problems before and since, never as easy as 7.

I hated that they took away my sound features that have been there sense like 95’ 7 pissed me off on how much shit I HAD TO DO to make the computer function and 8/8.1 was a pile of shit and 10 just took everything away from the user.

I was done with windshit and will never go back

2 Likes

Too bad your success didn’t keep it alive :frowning:

If anything, the EOL of Win7 might boost the Linux desktop usage to double digits.

The only thing I liked about it, the start menu, has been backported. :wink:

I won’t miss the ritual of installing drivers manually after install.

I won’t miss the complete lack of security.

I won’t miss the stupid benchmark you had to run to enable aero.

I won’t miss the absolutely worthless search function and indexing.

I won’t miss windows media player.

I won’t miss the lack of hardware support via updates.

I won’t miss bugs going unfixed for years.

I won’t miss windows 7.

3 Likes

Good riddance, uncle Windows 7 was slow and annoying at family gatherings.

3 Likes

Yeah now I have to suffer through 8.1 and 10. Woooo, not.looking forward to 10, 8.1 is at least in a usable condition and pretty stable, been months since the last BSOD but it still throws a wobbly sometimes.

10 is going to be a barrel of fun. Though it looks.like after years of pushing out half baked updates they might begetting somewhere. It is a shame it is called 10 still as the 10 that started and the 10 now and very different.