Windows 11 got something right ... fixed 3990x numa issue

And if it was not a joke post well you should use Linux with a threadripper 3990x/3995wx especially since it has 64 core / 128 threads … you will be much happier with such a processor … Plus all the issues in windows not knowing how to schedule properly with that many cores / threads goes away.

You will be surprised how fast windows in a VM in Kubuntu or any other linux runs on the large threadrippers when configured properly.

Thats assuming you need it at all once you find the apps you need and their equivalent in linux. I cannot go back to windows its such a bad experience for the 3990x

And with the new TPM and secure boot requirements coming anyone with high end hardware raid cards are going to be in a new world of hurt unless there are ways around those requirements …

So save time and learn linux … you wont be sorry.

Not a joke post, I’ll take some photos of my setup.

I own process lasso, just realized it does some nice options around setting cpu pinning options.

I had moved from an OC’ed 10900k to a 5950x which made a big difference, and looking at how many processes and threads I have running made me think adding more cores would be better for a desktop and got a 3995wx. Which mostly works great, but when it doesnt, it’s extremely extremely bad, and feels like a 5 year old PC using a HD, even when I don’t have too much running.

I looked at intercore latency charts and realized how much of a difference there is between processor cores, and now trying to see if I can setup some rules so each given process is pinned to specific cores. Or might just run and use Win 11 and see if that helps.

I’m admittedly extremely comfortable with Windows as a desktop environment, and less so with linux/bsd, I can use them for a server.

My alternate thought is to move my 3995wx back to a VM host, and try and offload as much tasks as I can to it instead, and use a 5950x back as my desktop box.

Have a sense that it might be partially issues with display drives potentially? I know NVIDIA had some real issues when I started using multiple GPU’s to run more than 4 4k monitors.

Also worth noting - no hw raid card. Waiting on a p5800x, right now using a 905p.

Reading Achieving 11M IOPS & 66 GB/s IO on a Single ThreadRipper Workstation | Tanel Poder Consulting makes me very tempted to put a bunch of nvme drives in to run some VM’s.

I did setup process lasso with some very janky process CPU affinities:
a default process gets assigned to 24 virtual cores, chrome gets exclusive use of 64, a handful of specific programs get pinned to other cores. SO far the system is flying, if it holds up in performance over the next few days I’ll be extremely happy.

Also this really was intended to be a VM server, just my desktop 5950x was being slow and laggy so decided to see what would happen if i used the 3995wx as the desktop.

Yeah i use a Highpoint 7540 with 8 x 2TB Firecudas and yes it screams using VM’s and everything i throw at it … those solutions will not work with windows 11 due to the new TPM and secure boot requirement so when you go shopping for a solution keep that in mind if you are going to stay with windows … they may have a solution when it comes out but just keep that in mind just in case they dont

Partially solved it! (After swapping almost every bit of hardware out).

1. Disable gsync/adaptivesync/vsync.
  2. Disable mouse trails.
  3. Turn off Show window contents while dragging in performance options - systempropertiesadvanced

Things that did not make a difference for me:

1. Making sure all monitors ran the same refresh rate, or dropping refresh rate down to 60hz.
  2. Changing usb polling speed for mice.
  3. Switching processors/mb/etc

Here’s hoping Windows 11 fixed 2990WX NUMA issue.

AMD safely built the 3990X with just a single NUMA core, the previous gen they used 4 NUMA cores, 2 more than Windows 10 could properly manage.

@wendell Stated on a video that he is working on a review on Windows 11 for a video maybe he has input but i would not hold my breath … 3990x scheduler is still a bit of a mess and i don’t believe anything of great value will be done for threadripper or anything with large core / threadcounts.