Windows 10 Won't detect my headphones

Windows 10 will not detect my (not usb) headphones any more.

I have tried multiple headphones.
I have uninstalled the sound driver and updated it.
I have restarted the PC after each attempt.

This happened last night but a restart seemed to fix it. Now nothing works.

2 Likes

What’s the model number on the PC? If it’s custom, what’s the parts?

1 Like

Sorry, close this thread. I restarted it again and now it works. Mystery not solved, but solved?

2 Likes

Ok so the problem has come back again. It happens when I unplug my headphones. Only solution seems to be to restart the PC. It’s a Dell Inspiron 7570.

do you see the headphone output in the playback devices?

I know this sounds stupid, but try disabling the device in device manager and enabling it again. I’ve had this same problem and it worked for me.

Tried disabling and re-enabling.

Headphone output does not show in playback devices even when working.

maybe the windows install borked itself in some way?

I might be wrong but nuking is always the first thing that comes in mind, does it have the key burnt into the UEFI? If so when reinstalling the activation is automatic

I’ll give that a go at the weekend if I don’t find anything before that.

Did you perhaps disable the Waves MaxxAudio Service? Dells with the Realtek audio controller auto-switch when you plug in new audio devices, but they use that Waves Service to do it.

I don’t see a Waves Maxx Audio when I search for it in the Windows search bar.

Try installing it from here, sometimes it gets damaged or not even installed with the driver
https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=vwprr&oscode=wt64a&productcode=inspiron-15-7570-laptop

Installed the driver and the app. Made 0 difference.

Then if Windows reinstall doesn’t fix it, my money’s on a hardware issue. Is it still under warranty?

No warranty I think given it’s just over 2 years old now. I think I might just suffer with the issue, I don’t fancy reinstalling everything.

Mine does the same thing, I just figured its an update thing

1 Like

I have found the solution to the issue:

https://www.dell.com/community/Inspiron/Inspiron-15-7-not-detecting-headphones/td-p/6085035

Before I removed my driver and reinstalled it, but this method is a bit different, albeit similar?