Windows 10 without residual services and bloatware

Just because a majority does it doesn’t mean that it’s a smart thing to do.

4 Likes

Sure and promoting it is a quick way to get banned on the forum.

As said, just because people do t doesn’t mean it’s right or legal. Promoting he use of pirated software isn’t welcome.

3 Likes

Clearly you was a very naughty boy. I was banned from my home phone line, and I never used to take my Amiga to my mates house to use a Null modem cable to copy downloaded warez off his PC, never not once did I ever do that… and definitely not after he got banned from the BBS for winding up the owner :smiley:

You’ve made me get all misty eyed…

Apart from spreading boot sector viruses Piracy was a contributing factor to the rise of DOS/Windows PC’s in the home, it turned out that PC owners tended to actually buy their games unlike all the Atari ST and Amiga owners who just swapped floppy disks in the playground (or went to demo and disk swapping parties if they were old enough). Guess which platform all the games developers were focusing on by around '92/93? Once Doom came (and wow, the shareware version by it self was awesome) it made anything that wasn’t a 486DX look crap.

As far as consoles went back then I used to spit on the Nintendo and Sega fan boys, Atari ST owners were just about bearable - they needed charity.

Sorry, for the thread drift but remember Piracy is theft.

Oh and about shutup10, it works well and is faster than doing it yourself.

1 Like

Look… the only way, is not using windows or Android. The whole their is windows is only to for the tech and even then… You have to give up something to use windows. Like Google.

Linux is best bet and even that is not perfect ?

1 Like

Rather than hacking windows to try and get around the telemetry, included shitware, etc. that microsoft are forcing upon you, trying to migrate off the platform is probably a better idea.

I don’t say that as a “Windows sucks! Linux Rox!” type statement. But you are fighting against the inevitable here. You either need to get on board the train or be left behind.

Propping up their market share numbers by running or purchasing a copy of Windows that does this stuff won’t encourage them to stop.

edit:
re: piracy. If you’re worried about spyware, telemetry and unauthorised/unwanted (by you) software running on your computer then running a pirated OS is the worst thing you can do. As above, either gulp that shit sandwich that’s on offer down, or plan your migration. Not attractive options, but the only realistic, legal, long term strategy imho.

2 Likes

Sussh… with the piracy already :smiley:
I have a retail copy of the pro and even office. Target was to find the Windows version with less stuff on it with the same original windows license.

The mention about the random “bay” resort download was to inform, that the illegally manipulated version is not trustworthy and might have fake claims.

DO NOT TRUST PEOPLE ON THE INTERNET! / Gandhi /

That quote is frequently misattributed to Gandhi. It was actually said by the Buddha. The full quote is as follows.

“Whether it is good or evil, whether life in itself is pain or pleasure, whether it is uncertain that it may perhaps be this is not important, but the unity of the world, the coherence of all events, the embracing of the big and the small from the same stream, from the same law of cause, of becoming and dying, all our fragments and follies cry out to one totality. Listen well. Don’t copy that floppy.”
– As the Buddha spake to Siddhārtha, 625 B.C.

Lets stay on topic thanks.

I think that the version topic starter is looking for are the LTSB-N versions of Windows10 Enterprise.
But those versions of windows can only be legally getting if you are either a company.
Or you need to be a student, applying to some MS learning program.

Windows10 Enterprise LTSB-N versions doesn’t come with stuff like the App store, Cortana etc installed.
And as far as the updates are concerned, it only get its security patches.
The thing that certain newer software might not work on Windows10 LTSB-N,
because of it might be outdated, sounds pretty unlikely to me.

FYI the latest version is called LTSC, and is based off the recent Version 1809.

1 Like

I found Winodws 10 Pro with Shutup10, Spybot Anti-beacon, adjusting a good amount of GPOs in Local Computer > Administrative Templates > Windows Settings, and a simple powershell script to check for certain services every 15 seconds and turn them off and ran with Task Scheduler at login helps a lot

Thanks, this also sounds like an additional good idea.

LTSC isnt a good idea for end user desktops.

I also kind of agree with @thro. All the things being talked about, you should seriously reconsider your reason for even running windows.

1 Like

Yeah, LTSB/LTSC sounds like what you want until you run it for a bit and realise that you’re several versions behind and some of the features missing are features you might want windows 10 for (i.e., if you’re thinking of running LTSB/LTSC, just run Windows 7 instead. IMHO it is a better desktop platform than LTSB/LTSC). Like some of the touch screen apps.

IMHO you either

• stick it out with Windows 7 until you can successfully migrate to a non windows platform
  • migrate now to something else. be it ChromeOS, macOS, iOS, Android, Linux or whatever.
  • stick with windows and accept that you’re fighting a losing battle against the telemetry etc. even if you can hack that stuff out today, that won’t be the case forever. So i’d plan what you’re going to do when that time comes…

As someone who has tried getting the “old way” of Windows back, let me tell you that, for personal use, Windows 10 Home/Pro is the only way.

• Forget Windows 7 on modern Hardware. USB3 is a hassle, drivers unavailable, no Updates, and increasingly software support gets worse. Plus it won’t even run on Modern CPU’s without trickery.
  • Windows 10 LTSC is great, if you can get it. The only reliable ways for “consumers”:
    • Microsoft Action Pack (Great Value if you make use of it, but 500$ a year for LTSC alone isn’t worth it)
    • Install the Evalutation Copy and reinstall every 3 Months
  • Windows Server 2016: don’t even bother. GPU Support is meh, Some Software recognizes Server and doesn’t run properly, Hardware Support for anything can be a problem (had some with Gamepads, USB Mics and Audio Interfaces). And not every Win 10 Driver will run under Server 2016.

Overall, Anything besides Windows 10 Pro just isn’t daily driver capable for varying Reasons. So from my point of view you either stick up with what Microsoft does to it’s OS and tweak it some, or you go over to the Linux side of things.

So I was quite pleased when I heard about the LTSB and figured I would run it on a new build I’m planning for next year. Regardless of how I would get said software, several people have alluded to things “may” not work, and one would be missing “some features”, but has anyone actually tested it? Is there evidence that things like games wouldn’t run?

Everything runs as you would expect it to. I´ve tried it for an let´s say “extended test period”. It´s the exact same thing. The only things that you´re missing is an image viewer (it only has paint), edge and there is no windows store, so you cannot install store apps. OneDrive isn´t installed by default, but you can install it. No XBox Game app. And of course no candycrush.

The rest is not very different. It runs the same kernel after all. Every normal Windows program (programs and games) will run virtually the same way it would on any other Windows machine.

It didn´t break yet and I don´t really expect it to (it´s supposed to be more stable after all). I´ve heard about some things not working, because edge is missing. But I forgot what it was and I didn´t have any issues yet. If it breaks it´s fine by me I can get all my work done on my notebook too (at this point without even having to copy anything anywhere). Can always move back to my now unused Windows license if I ever have problems with it.

Maybe at some point I´ll also try to run Windows in a VM on Linux and just switch entierly. But I´d need a second GPU. Feels kinda bad having to use the worse GPU for Linux. But oh well realistically I don´t do much GPU intensive things besides gaming, so it probably would not matter. But more than that it takes time to get it setup properly and it does not do anything for me. Yes, for a lot of stuff Linux is cool. But for all I care I can call my gitbash Linux (for the most part) (SSH, btw). I don´t know if linux subsystem for Windows LTSB is a thing. Don´t really need that either. Since my Linux´i things are on my NAS and VMs on my NAS (now) and my notebook runs Ubuntu too. But I dual boot Windows on it, because touch pad gestures on Linux just aren´t really a thing and i´m too spoiled in that regard having used a macbook back when Windows touchpads where garbage and now Windows is almost up there, but Linux is still far away from that (and you can´t install something that works similarly well). On Desktops you don´t have touchpads to begin with, so it´s all fine.

As many others have said, there comes a point when trying to, in my opinion, ‘fix Windows’ becomes troublesome and a PITA to maintain over time.

If your primary concern over gaming is your privacy, then Linux is a viable option IMO. I am a pretty heavy gamer and Steam Proton has changed the game, so to speak.

It’s dumb, but Windows 10 is where it is right now. It has certainly improved in terms of UX and stability, but the ethical issues remain. But if the apps you need on Windows is more important, then do what you can on the router level and with apps like ShutUp10 and call it a day, you know?

That really depends, if you are someone who games, I would recommend against this. You will lose out on DX12 if that matters to you.

Support for Windows issues is limited as well as googling it will generally lead to much older articles or you can’t find fixes because they don’t apply to your version.

Driver support is hit&miss, I have an RX580, certain drivers I am a bit weary of because they can potentially break my system when the same driver works just fine on a newer version of Windows. LTSB/C users are expected to use Windows update for the majority of their drivers, this includes graphics.

I run LTSB 1607 at home and will be looking to get my hands on the 1809 LTSC (legally of course). Overall, like @Eden says, I recommend against LTSB/C for home desktop use unless you have a very specific use case.

Not entierly sure about that, maybe you loose out on updates, but

Rise of the Tomb raider works with DX12 enabled for me.

Huh, I did not know that, I assumed it would be broken as you don’t get the latest DX12 updates/features being behind what MS officially supports for gaming. I will be testing DX12 with Vermintide 2 tonight.

Another one is newer hardware support,

Also while I did mention I’ll be looking at getting 1809 LTSC in my previous post, I may not be able to run it.