Windows 10 without residual services and bloatware

Hey there!

A couple of months ago I heard that there is a WIN10 pro version without the extra services like reporting services etc and bloatware.
For now, I have found only the version without bloatware (candy crush etc.) - anyone can point in the direction of the aforementioned version without the extra bells and whistles ? — and does it validate using the usual activation code or it costs extra pieces of gold ?

Thank You in advance

Might it be the China edition or Windows 10 LTSB?

Windows has the registry key SilentInstalledAppsEnabled but I think windows has a tendency to reset it at times =/ Maybe if you push it through GPO.

Yes, as I added your keywords - there are information about the bare-bone version of Windows to enterprise ltsb market, which could be licensed.

Also, found that there is a “black market” version - windows10 lite, which claims to be twice faster and with broader hardware support on low end, but it not legal, cannot be licensed and doesn’t receive updates (or at least - can’t install them).

As I don’t have any information about the security of the lite version, then there might be only the bloatware-free version available from Microsoft themselves for average consumers like me.

If you’re unable to get official updates you can assume security is bad. Every OS (or rather every piece of software) has security vulnerabilities, and being able to patch them is paramount.

Multiple different third-party programs exist that attempt to improve privacy and decrease bloat, but I can’t provide specific recommendations. Also, it will always be an uphill battle with a proprietary OS.

Personally, I’ve found that bloatware such as candy crush is not installed when using a DNS black hole (such as PiHole) with appropriate blacklists. This is in addition to improving privacy somewhat (reducing telemetry).

2 Likes

Sinkhole config might just be too much for me - i just wanted to make one installation for single user network and computer easier without the annoying part of removing the included services from running list at first start-up and then again, and again after each update. As some services are pushed to automatically restart after an update.

And does the sinkhole solution just works as a blocker for outgoing information, or does it actually can save the single user resources by not running into halt after scheduled windows task ? Or if it pings the endserver before the tasks run and if cannot reach it, just postpones it and by that saves the resources ?

Be warned, a lot of people on here have tried to do stuff like this and then it borks their boxes.

So just be ready for the, “I told you so”.

1 Like

Do You regard the sinkhole method or the service restrictions ?

p.s. I have previously made couple of things to break in my system as well by turning off services before, but mostly the appearance settings got damaged, so i just don’t care too much about those.

But, thank you MIster Dynamic Gravity, for the warning !

The sinkhole method preferred, but it won’t work outside your network.

And this won’t go as far as stripping the system of stuff, but it won’t break it (usually).

I believe this is a third party tool that makes native changes to alter the reporting services.

https://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10

Otherwise, things like Candy Crush are easily uninstalled. If you have Professional you can make GPOs to configure updates and telemetry services.

@Ruffalo is more experienced with Shut Up 10 than I am. I do everything by hand, generally. But, I don’t have the problem with telemetry like some of this crowd does.

I don’t mean that in any offense, I’ve just learned that what bothers some people doesn’t bother me. Different strokes.

1 Like

Yes, basically enable all the recommended settings in Shutup10 and you’ll be safe and set.

You will need to do this again after every major bi-annual Windows update. It becomes a routine, like disabling Nvidia’s telemetry after every driver update. I don’t love it, but it’s what the world has come to.

3 Likes

What you are looking for is windows 10 LTSC.
Microsoft really doesn’t want you to know about it or have it, but life finds a way.

LTSC doesn’t get most non-security updates and enhancements. While each 6 month Windows 10 update is individually pretty small in terms of new features and improvements, when you add them all up Win10 today is markedly better than when it launched in 2015.

It’s like the difference between intel CPUs over the past 10 years. Yeah each generation is a very small performance and functionality improvement, but when you add them up, and look to upgrade from Sandy Bridge to Coffee Lake+, they really make a difference. I wouldn’t want to run Win10 essentially as released in 2015 today.

1 Like

Agree with this. They’ve made improvements to the UI and underlying system.

Hate to be that guy, but if you’re having performance issues with modern Windows, yer doin’ it wrong.

I would say that i have disorder within my life - that i need to reduce everything to minimum, so, even my computer packs tons of power and has some unused or non-beneficial stuff for me, i feel kind of bothered to leave them there if there is an option get rid of them.
Im sorry that i gave impression that I have problems with WIN10 or have run into them by any of the services - it is not so - in my mind im just telling myself, that i have cleaner environment i can feel better about it and myself. :slight_smile:

The closest thing I can recommend is LTSB. You cannot buy it, but you can pirate it just fine. Absolutely zero bloatware, you will be getting security updates, but nothing else. (no build upgrades)
So software that assumes that you have a reasonably recent version of Windows 10 will not work, because you will forever be on an old build.
I would probably recommend trying it, but be prepared that some software might complain your Windows build is too old, and refuse to work.

You can uninstall the games that come preloaded (some of them aren’t even installed, just cached from my understanding).

When I install Windows there are only three things in Control Panel > Programs and Features:

Intel drivers, Nvidia drivers, and networking driver.

Everything else I install through Chocolatey or file share. I clean up the start menu, make a GPO or four, and call it a day. As said above, that program will be much more efficient than manually changing stuff. Everything else you can uninstall by right clicking > “Uninstall”

1 Like

I will use it, seems a quicker way than i usually do it - that same manual route you go w/o GPO.
But will look into group policy settings as well from now on.

Thank You @AnotherDev and @Ruffalo !

1 Like

No

1 Like

Pirating your OS is downright stupid.

I say this as the primary distribution point for Windows 95 betas across eastern seaboard warez BBS’s circa 1994, so I know of what I speak.

3 Likes

Meh, in my country I would guess 70-90% of home computers run pirated windows.