Windows 10 update screw itself

So, yesterday, J let my laptop update itself to the new Fall Creators Update. It seemed to update fine but as soon as it restarted it showed a tiny box saying:
’’ Windows could not complete the installation. To install Windows on this computer, restart the installation.’'
Any suggestions?

1 Like

make sure your fully up to date and if that doesnt work use the windows update tool to update to the fall creators since it checks if your ok to update
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10?tduid=(afddc3110e1380eb618b6f6c662d0c3d)(259740)(2542549)(UUwpUdUnU35689)()

Its going to be pretty hard to use the update tool when your computer doesnt boot.

@DarkWasher

Your best bet is to use another computer to create a windows 10 bootable USB and either do a fresh install without formatting the drive to save your data or attempt to use the repair tool from the USB drive.

1 Like

I’ve had a similar case with a client’s machine. Would download and install, but after the necessary reboot it says in the update log it failed the install. So the update log will say “installed” and “install failed” etc. To the same update. Tried the tool to repair win update, it came back saying it had resolved some issues, but it didn’t help. Case still open.

I even tried using the recovery partition but it fails to be recognized. The screen just stays plain black.

You may need to reformat and reinstall. You can probably make a bootable linux key, plug it in, retrieve the important stuff, then make a windows installer and reinstall

The good thing is that everything that is important I already have a backup. So if I loose some or all data it should be fine I guess.

I find that a nuke and renew strategy fixes basically all windows issues and that recovery rarely does any good. If stuffs backed up then its even easier to just start fresh

This is the windows 10 life

just my 2 shekels

Well with that said just do a clean install. : )

The update message comes all around during login. However, Windows 10 failed to do that because the computer is UEFI enabled. so ridiculous. It also forces me to change the password. Make sure create a password reset disk in advance in case you forgot the login password.

2 month necro. Thread is locked. If you are having issues make a new thread.