Windows 10 Start Menu and Cortana GONE [SOLVED]

I have a serious problem... I'm not sure how I messed it up. All I know is that I cannot access the Start menu or the Cortana search. It does nothing clicking the Windows Start icon or pressing the super (Windows) key. I've tried everything I possibly could other than reinstalling Windows which I DO NOT WANT TO DO IF AT ALL POSSIBLE. I've tried registry edits to no avail. I've used Powershell running this common command Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"} and I've even reinstalled updates, rebooted, and attempting to start the process through task manager run prompts and Win Run prompts. No luck. Does anyone know WHAT THE FUCK I'M SUPPOSED TO DO? Dammit, I really don't mind Windows, but this is an issue that has existed since the preview builds and there STILL isn't a solution OR fix that Microsoft has developed or confirmed. Even the troubleshooter for the start menu is incapable of FIXING the problem. It literally runs, says what the problem is, and then says it can't do it. WTF?! Can anyone help? I'm at a loss...

system restore to an earlier point

1 Like

I would have to have a backup to do that, no?

just a restore point to restore to , they usually happen whenever something in the system is changed

1 Like

Ah, yes I see. I'll try it out. Since the problem only occurred late last night, I'll restore to jul 28. I'll post here if it works or not.

Well, SyaRestore has been running for just over an hour now and I'm still waiting. It may be taking so long because I've done file changes of about 200GB total these past couple of days... So that's quite a bit. If that's not the case, then it's just a really fucking slow process.

@emosun Glorius day. SysRestore has prevailed. Thank you.

A lot of people forget that system restore exists. Fixes lots of problems! Glad it working for ya

1 Like