Windows 10 Rolling Releases Causing Issues?

Hello folks.

I have a question for all the Windows sysadmins out there: have you encountered any issues with older versions of Windows 10 in your corporate environment?

I have a client who have a fairly large userbase (>100 users) who moved to a new building and had a new domain not-so-long ago.

With their new building they had limited bandwidth to start with, so I implemented WSUS to help with Windows updates. I enabled auto-approval of scritical and security updates and left it at that.

Around this time they started getting Windows 10 PCs, which were all clean-built before they were sent to the client.

Due to the configuration of the update server these computers never got the new Windows 10 feature updates, up to now.

Recently we encountered an alarming number of users experiencing Windows Explorer crashing when they opened it or attempted certain tasks (searching, resizing the windows, maximising windows , etc.) After much troubleshooting I noticed that the afflicted PCs were on previous versions of Windows 10, so I updated them. Amazingly this fixed the issues!

So, this brings me to the question. Have any other sysadmins encountered this issue? I’m interested in this as it seems too consistent to be dumb luck.

Thanks, Fantom.

Oh yeah. But that’s the way it is now. Unless everyone wants to run windows server.

It seems so.

We are going through a long process of updating these PCs and getting them off the WSUS server one at a time whenever they are available.

I know this is less than optimal, but with various versions (16299, 15063, 14393 and strangely a couple of 10568 despite it being “unsupported”) this seems to be the best way to both ensure it gets done and inconvenience the users the least (nobody likes getting a surprise 3 hour update).

It would be nice to hear from other encountering issues with Windows 10 and WSUS, if only to confirm it is a cluster.

I’ve actually had better luck with the older releases, but then again we have older applications which are prone to compatibility issues. Its especially bad on our 2012 R2 server which was failing to do backups after an update.

On the note of explorer crashing. We had a similar issue but it was due to the limitation of character length in the path+filename. A quick change of a registry value fixed this.

I’ve seen more issues in Windows 10 the past few months than I have with Windows 7 for all the years I’ve used it. It deserves a spot on the list somewhere around WinME and Vista pre-SP1. Something as simple as hitting the Win-key and typing “system” yields no results… add an s for “systems” and it will eventually display System as a part of the results :tired_face:
Stupid laptops with no Pause/Break-key…

Haven’t really seen any issues with explorer crashing though, but a lot of BSODs due to all sorts of things, like enabling Chrome Cast, restarting between Windows updates, installing software that creates a vNIC…

I have also seen the Windows Explorer crashing issue. The user even took a video of it happening. He clicked the Explorer link on the task bar, it came up, he moved the mouse over it to click a link (Pictures or something) and it disappeared and the screen went black for a second.

I work helpdesk at a medium sized company, and I can tell the “rolling release” style Windows is taking is going to be a disaster. The senior network/system admin manages all the updates. So far we have about 50 Windows 10 systems, with the rest (around 600 systems) being Windows 7. Common commands (gpupdate, etc) and drive mappings fail at random with Windows 10 when logging in. It’ll take several reboots and then magically it’ll work. The wireless doesn’t re-enable when the laptop is undocked a lot of the time. Domain issues. It just goes on and on.

I’ve also heard that backups of the 2012 R2 and 2008 R2 servers fail randomly as well. Not sure what that’s about, but no one can figure it out. They’ll fail one day, then the next it’ll succeed, with no reason.

On our file server (2008 R2) the Volume Shadow Copy somehow corrupted itself off the system. Just totally gone. So there was no way for us to restore previous file versions; which was a huge issue since everyone had their shared documents with get locked all the time on there. MS support didn’t have a fix for us, so it had to be rebuilt.

1 Like

This rolling release system is also becoming an issue for us to support since every 6 months the interface changes.

It seems that Microsoft are slowly but surely turning Windows 10 into a less-functional version of it’s former self. Their attempts to migrate Control Panel items to the Settings app have increasingly left us with poorly designed interfaces that are not just unfamiliar, but occasionally missing useful links they should have. I have a list as long as anyones arm of things that Windows 10 has made worse since the Anniversary update.

I know there’s plenty of this out there, but I’m increasingly concerned that there will be a “fit hits the shan” moment around April 2020 when users refuse to make the switch.

1 Like