Windows 10 deleting linux boot device in UEFI

Not sure why I bother dealing with Windows 10, but 'MUH GAMEZ' I suppose.

So ever since the creators update, every few boots, Windows seems to be setting itself as the first device to boot in my UEFI. It then continues to delete the Linux boot device on the UEFI screen.

It's supposed to be Linux GRUB that boots, with Windows being an option, but again it keeps resetting to Windows.

Is this a UEFI/MOBO or a Windows problem?

Any help would be great, thanks guys.

Working as intended.
Just change it back.
Setting an admin psw might block Windows from changing the nvram settings.

Bumping to see if anyone else has this.

But no, it's not as intended.

Literally each time Windows boots, and I restart to go into the UEFI BIOS screen, the linux boot device is gone: where it was there prior to that boot.

screenshot?

Basically the problem it seems you're having is that you have the GRUB bootloader installed on your windows disk, and you're prioritizing your windows disk on boot. Windows has been programmed to always put itself first for unknown malicious reasons.

The solution to your problem is to either emulate windows through a VM using hardware pass-through, or if you need it on a dedicated disk; making windows completely unaware that you have Linux installed on your system.

To do this, you need to install Linux on an entirely separate disk. You can either completely disconnect your windows disk from your mobo when doing a fresh install of linux, so that it puts the grub bootloader on your Linux disk rather than your windows disk. Or, you can manually move the grub bootloader to the other disk using terminal. It's pretty easy to find instructions for moving the grub bootloader to different disks with a quick google search.

By having my Linux OS AND the grub bootloader on an entirely separate disk from Windows, I can then make my Linux disk the boot drive, so that grub can then detect the windows bootloader on the windows disk. They're both entirely separate, and windows is happy with it's own space having no idea that Linux is even installed.

Hope this helps

2 Likes