Windows 10 Reserved Memory

So first things first

i’m using an athlon mobile APU and of course it uses some memory for the graphics

my main issue is that it takes 2.1GB of my system memory and there isn’t anyway to change this in the bios

is there any cmd or regedit to help me out here? i’ve already put memory to max on the start up config.

memory|542x185

1 Like

Run a lower resolution maybe? What do you mean by this?

Here’s my work computer, an i7-8700 using the iGPU to drive three monitors, using less than 200MB of ram.

I’m pretty sure my VM has a whole chunk of “shared” memory.
I’m passing a 6gb card, and I had to allocate a bunch more ram for the new COD game

Ok I misread the tags, I thought this was a windows problem, but the OPs screen cap looking like it’s from Linux? Why is the post tagged Windows OS?

Just opened mine, and it seems to just use a whole lot of ram, with no major reason.
Like 7 gigs, running just the task manager? Out of 10 gigs?

Because that’s a screenshot from windows resource monitor (memory tab).

1 Like

msconfig > Boot > Advanced Options > Maximum Memory

is what i was meaning

and yes in windows i have 8gb of installed but 5.9GB usable with 2.1gb being reserved for my built in graphics which should only need 200-400mb max.

Unless you’re going to get into bios modification, there’s no way to set this afaik

Pre-allocated video memory is set pre-boot iirc. So it’s a BIOS setting. There should be a setting for it in BIOS.

But 2GB seems like too much even if it’s set on Auto. What system board is that? D:

Usually integrated graphics can access more memory if it’s needed and available (shared memory). The pre-allocated amount is there because many programs need to see a set value and so that other processes don’t cut into video memory and crash your computer.

Yes there is no setting to change it in the bios and it scales when you put more memory in as when it had 4GB it reserved 700MB for GPU

When i had my 2200G in another system it would take max 500MB on auto with 8 GB of ram so i’m wondering why its taking 4x as much.

Sorry i didn’t make it clear before this is a lenovo laptop with an athlon 300u

and i looks like i’m stuck unless someone can mod a bios to enable some tweaking though i thought i would just ask to make sure.

Here’s a grab from my Dell, which has a GTX 1050 on board as well as the iGPU of the i7-7700

No idea why your iGPU is hogging so much memory! Have you checked with Lenovo for a bios update maybe?

Yes i’ve flashed to the newest bios but no luck :frowning:

truly a cursed laptop haha