Windows 10 refuses to recognize different monitors

Hello. I have an HP EliteBook with Windows 10. I have a dock for it at work and one at home. At work I have two dell U2719D (27" 1440p) and at home I have a dell S3220DGF (32’ 1440p) and an Acer ED273A (27" 1080p). My problem is that when I take my laptop to work and dock it, it claims it is using my monitors from home, even if I reboot? Not sure if this is a hardware or software issue, so sorry if I’m on the wrong sub-forum. I would really like to get both monitors to 1440p at work.

EDIT: Hmm… I just rebooted and it did work. Maybe my computer was not actually shutting off when I thought it was? Still seems odd that there’s no way to re-evaluate what monitors are connected while they are operating.

That is odd, it should just happen on the fly as they are connected and disconnected, windows should not remember a monitor if it is not connected.

As for the reboot, is it maybe doing some sort of hybrid hibernation fast boot thing that does not actually fully turn it off? Unfortunately I have no idea how to check any of that, just a guess for a direction to look in.

The way Windows 10 handles “shutdowns” is really a sleep/hibernation, for the most part it’ll just remember the previously docked monitors as it allows for quick resume–this dates back to Windows 8/8.1. I’ve had this happen with a Thinkpad when moving between docks.

I have no idea how HP docks work but if they’re just a pass-thru of the connectors like Lenovo Thinkpads the dock won’t have any unique HDMI/DP/VGA and ethernet identifiers like you see with USB Docks/Thunderbolt so its possible Windows may “cache” that info due to the way Win10’s hybrid shutdown/fast boot works. With Thinkpad docks you’re supposed to press the “eject button” to send Windows the dock disconnect status(newer docks it was integrated into the spring release undock button)–older HP Elitebook docks if I recall had a similar button. (haven’t seen an Elitebook dock since the mid/late 2000s)

Dang it, when I reboot, I want a reboot.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.