Windows 10 Pro + VMware Issue

Not sure if anybody has seen this or not, I have a host Windows 10 Pro machine running on a Threadripper 2950x with 64GB of RAM.

I run VMware player with a Windows 10 Pro install that has a weird issue after resuming the suspended guest.

It can take anywhere from 30 ~ 60 minutes to play catch up, in that the VM seems a bit sluggish and the mouse cursor isn’t following properly.

If I reboot the VM then all is good to go or if I just shut down rather then suspending the guest it is fine.

Also note that this issue doesn’t occur all the time after resuming.

I’m wondering if it is the automatic Windows update checks causing this to lag due to the guest being suspended ?

Any ideas ?

This is more of an annoyance then anything else but there you go.

What processes are running in the background on the virtual machine when it comes out of a suspended guest mode?

That pretty much is the following:

Chrome with multiple tabs open
Firefox with multiple tabs open
Maxthon with multiple tabs open
Thunderbird

Close all VPN connections before suspending, this is really only used when I have to connect to the office for specific tasks.

Also note this is a WORK VM so I can separate it from my host machine.

I’ve allocated 8 CPU Cores/Threads and 16GB of RAM to the VM.

No major spikes in CPU usage upon coming out of suspend?

Maybe check to see if you have the latest version of VMware Tools installed on the guest os?

I know VMware player has been buggy and personally not my go to for virtualization.

None that I’ve seen as far as resource spikes.

Done all the updates including removing the VMware Tools and reinstalling once more.

This is a hit or miss issue, most of the time it is fine coming out of suspension, again why I find it annoying but not something I can’t work around.

Are there any GPU passthrough options for VMware ?

I do hate using there generic device driver under the guest.

I know that there are options within VMware Player/Workstation that allow for ‘3D Acceleration’ so you may check those settings under that VM. Usually the default allocated memory is lower then it should be.

Usually GPU passthrough would involve another dedicated GPU and I’m not even sure how that would work via Player or Workstation. I do know that there is extensive guides here about enabling it for ESXi hosts, but that is hosted on a server usually and doesn’t really align to your use case.

I’ve already got the 3D Acceleration check boxes enabled.

Thanks for the tips, I will try checking further at the resources being used when this occurs next time.

Maybe I can trace it down to something specific.

Yeah, sorry I couldn’t be more help. Personally, I haven’t had issues with the suspend/resume function when it comes to vms.

Had another lag issue but not so bad this time.

I then ran task manager and sorted by CPU usage.

Thunderbird is using between 8 ~ 9 % but I was able to use the app just fine.

The lag seems to just affect the mouse not following in a timely fashion on the screen so hence why this is more an annoyance then anything else.

EDIT: so I ended Thunderbird to test and see if the lag went away, after a minute or two the lag with the mouse cursor is still present.

No other app is showing above 3 % and only then for short bursts and goes back down again.

This includes the company mandated Comodo Enterprise app.