Windows 10 performance edition

Microsoft cant be this stupid.

Sounds like its just an option that will be added in an update, not a different version of windows 10…

1 Like

Right so half of this can be explained in a recent JB Linux Unplugged episode. They’re adding in native installs of curl, wget, and a lot of other useful bash tools to powershell core before release, as well as better thread prioritization. Essentially they’re making windows more like linux and this will be a giant toolkit to do that. It almost makes me want to try W10 when it drops, almost.

2 Likes

A new power scheme – Ultimate Performance: Demanding workloads on workstations always desire more performance. As part of our effort to provide the absolute maximum performance we’re introducing a new power policy called Ultimate Performance. Windows has developed key areas where performance and efficiency tradeoffs are made in the OS. Over time, we’ve amassed a collection of settings which allow the OS to quickly tune the behavior based on user preference, policy, underlying hardware or workload.

This new policy builds on the current High-Performance policy, and it goes a step further to eliminate micro-latencies associated with fine grained power management techniques. The Ultimate Performance Power plan is selectable either by an OEM on new systems or selectable by a user. To do so, you can go to Control Panel and navigate to Power Options under Hardware and Sound (you can also “run” Powercfg.cpl). Just like other power policies in Windows, the contents of the Ultimate Performance policy can be customized.

The Ultimate Performance Power plan is selectable either by an OEM on new systems or selectable by a user. To do so, you can go to Control Panel and navigate to Power Options under Hardware and Sound (you can also “run” Powercfg.cpl).

As the power scheme is geared towards reducing micro-latencies it may directly impact hardware; and consume more power than the default balanced plan. The Ultimate Performance power policy is currently not available on battery powered systems.

We’ll continue to tune and evaluate the power plan settings. To submit feedback please use the Feedback Hub and file your feedback under Power & Battery > Setting category.

1 Like

My first thought:

What storage, I would think there being way to optimize for nvme for example

Clearly we need another power plan Super Ultimate Power Plan that actually makes your PC run faster other than trolling you and sending telemetry to MS instead.

3 Likes

My windows performance edition includes stripping Cortana and all the other bs out until just before it breaks the os.

1 Like

dammit I thought this was going to be a new win 10 version with the “thinnest” windows 10 version with all the least clutter and junk on it

2 Likes

They already make that version of windows but they dont even sell it to consumers. Is only for OEMs and Enterprise :frowning:

1 Like

There’s also the education edition. Just the Enterprise edition minus Cortana I believe. Got it for $10 from my school.

1 Like

Not sure why some of you are complaining, this brings Windows closer to Linux and makes the platform more flexible.

Windows is here to stay, no one cares about telemetry, deal with it. Stop bitching about everything Microsoft does. They have completely overhauled their entire culture and that’s still not good enough for you people. They’re not going to open source their entire market overnight, it’s a work in progress.

1 Like

i care about telemetry.

if ms would publish exactly what they collect i might feel better about it.
yes i know theres a tool to do so, but since ms collects so much the tool needs a search function (WHY?!??!?!?) and it doesn’t (apparently) show everything. also it shows you the data in a raw form (xmlish looking ) so most don’t know what they are looking at anyways

the only thing ms needs to know about my computer is what updates it needs. and even that can be determined locally ,which linux/bsd distros manage just fine.

while windows 10 might be an improvement in many areas over previous versions, telemetry is not one of them.

you might say “do you have a cell phone?” and the answer is yes i do. however there is no choice to opt out of telemetry here. my only real choice is cell service; and verizon att etc all have telemetry at varying levels, along with google and apple (and samsung, motorola etc).

so no option to opt out of telemetry with phone service here.
however i can opt out out ms telemetry by not using their os.

2 Likes

UPS that on over to my mailbox when you are out of school.

The fundamental issue is ownership and control. Once I have those, I’ll happily switch back to windows.

Sadly, this update does not fix those issues.

And yes the screeching over telemetry is boring and needs to stop.

You should scream louder about the telemetry… all that is is rolling over and taking it.

In a way i see this as a marketing stunt; how to make media talk about your product.
You need performance? stay away from windows.

Find a better argument. Its clutter on these forums as we are all aware of what’s happening.

For those of us that must use windows for work there needs to be discussion on solutions to make the system more manageable.

Wasn’t there supposed to be a full bash implementation in windows? I thought they added a Ubuntu shell or something… We haven’t made the switch to 10 yet at work.

I’ve never used it. But you can use Linux inside Windows 10. And you can install bash from the CMD.

there is 3 shells, ubuntu, opensuse and suse linux enterprise server. they are nice but because they are just VMs there are limitations to what access you have

1 Like

Cool, then don’t use any products that use it. Or, disable it in Windows or any products that use it.

They’ve published it many times.

They collect this through telemetry. They collect your hardware information, the software you’re running, the libraries installed, etc. I would hardly say that Linux handles updates “just fine”.

Don’t really care what phone you use. Your false insecurities being directed at Microsoft are absurd. This argument has been overhyped, overblown, and debunked in almost every Windows thread on this forum. Cry more about telemetry, but do it to your Linus shaped pillow.

As I said in another thread, no one has ever used Windows for kernel hacking. People use Windows to work. As they open source more of the software and intertwine more with Linux, I’m sure that will change.

1 Like