Windows 10 Navi poor performance fix?

i have a windows 10 installation with an AMD RX 5700. Treadripper 1950x, adn 16GB of RAM.

this setup gets about 50fps in Half-Life 2: lost coast at 1080p.

identical hardware on Linux gets about 250fps in the same benchmark.

is there any fix to this? or is Navi on Windows actually this gimped?

I’m not sure but the problem might not be the gpu but Windows’ handling of the TR 1950X.

i dont think this is the case. as it ran fine when i was using my TR 1950x and Polaris.
just to make sure there is no driver conflicts, i wiped my ENTIRE windows drive and started from scratch when i upgraded to Navi.

Which version of catalyst or Radeon software are you running?

according to device manager:

Driver Provider: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.

Driver Date: 2/28/2020

Driver Version: 26.20.15019.19000

1 Like

Try DDUing the drivers. What 5700 do you have? Are you not thermal throttling?

If you are just using the one Windows comes with, I would say try the ones from AMD first…

i have this:

i would sure hope that Navi doesnt start throttling at 40C on Windows. idk how to check for sure though.

ill try re-installing the drivers.

get this
https://www.amd.com/en/support/graphics/amd-radeon-5700-series/amd-radeon-rx-5700-series/amd-radeon-rx-5700

1 Like

thats what im using. it should be noted i had to use a workaround to not install the bloat that comes with that installer.

1 Like

The newest driver is 5th March, you still have one from Feb?

Also use this to remove older drivers.

1 Like

Just looked, OP has extracted the driver, and not installed the rest.
From the release notes:

• Radeon Software Adrenalin 2020 Edition 20.2.2 Driver Version 19.50.19.19 (Windows Driver Store Version 26.20.15019.19000)

Off-topic

I wonder how many people improperly install AMD gpu drivers :thinking:

UPDATE: reverted to a driver version that doesnt require a workaround to avoid bloat. (26.20.13001.40003)
there is no change in the behavior of the system.

I don’t get it, we don’t you just install the latest and greatest drivers available right now? What kind of bloat do AMD drivers have?

a bunch of programs that do many things, the only reason i want to avoid this bloat is because installing it brings the GPU’s fan from idle speed to zero. and that is unacceptable to me, as with fans at zero, Navi idles at 60C. with the idle speed, Navi idles around 35C.

i am now trying to install the newest drivers with all the bloat they come with.

A zero fan mode is considered as a feature in latest graphics cards. :laughing:

The idea behind it is to ensure as quiet an experience as possible when you’re not taxing the gpu. 60C is nothing for GPU silicon.

once i decided to air cool ThreadRipper, i gave up any possibility of the machine being quiet.

Well, at least try the newest “bloated” drivers to atleast determine that you don’t have a faulty GPU or not.

UPDATE: installed the latest drivers with all their bloat.
it scores about 50fps in Half-Life 2: Lost Coast benchmark. which is unacceptable for Navi10