Windows 10 micro freezes on X99 system

So just gonna list my speccs firs then explain the issue.

Asus X99-A usb 3.1, 5930k, 2x390Xs 4x4 gskills ram, 1000w EVGA g2, samsung 500gb Evo 850

so my computer will freeze for half a second, at desktop etc, audio will skip, screen will freeze then jump back to what it was doing, games will do the same.

its persisted over multiple windows installs, updated bios etc, not sure what could be causing it, anyone have ideas?

Try taking one of the video cards out and see what happens. I wonder if you might have one of those terrible unicorn configurations where crossfire is an absolute nightmare. Once upon a time for no apparent reason 7870 users were plagued with random crossfire fuckery across all kinds of hardware configurations for no apparent reason. That card in particular stands out as being especially bad.

I get it even in single GPU mode sadly. :/

I would physically remove the card from the system. I don't see any other semi-obvious culprit just by looking at your hardware configuration otherwise.

Hey ! remove cpu, check for color variations on cpu, and or out of place/bent/dirty pins. Reseating a couple of times the rams, might be a good idea also.
If it persists, either the cpu or the mobo, have a serious problem.
..........or it is one of windows 10 s benefits ! The stability of x99 and windows 10 has always been one of the reasons i have kept away from ANY version of 10.

It may have something to do with the latest update. I'm running Windows 10 on my laptop and since doing the update I've noticed my laptop is doing very similar to what you have described. It was fine before the update.

yea, thats why I'm thinking this is a windows issue more than hardware..

@maxcat I've reseated everthing, and the CPU is fine :/

it could be the motherboard? since I know the USB headers on it are a bit off/funky.

I hate to say this but I do think the X99 is not as stable ans OC able as the X78; X99 has too many toys/candies.......most unfortunately somewhat useless in general use ! (IMO)

I have this issue at stock clocks, so my OC isn't the issue.

This allmost sounds like some sort of a high dpc latency issue.

elaborate pleasek

High dpc latency issue is often caused by some sort of a wonky driver.
Make sure you have installed all the latest drivers.

.......or wonky windows 10....if I may add!
does this happen in bios mode, regular or uefi. When I had similar problems, the cpu seating or ram were nearly always involved; either something freezes or something is waiting for instructions or follow-up.
I would most definitely try a win 7 build ! (IMO)
my reference to OC was on top of regular clocks, not only when !

using latests drivers I can find :/ sounds like amd though

try previous versions of radeon drivers.
Still test with generic windows drivers and in bios mode ! (IMO)

1 Like

There are tools which you could monitor dpc latency.
it think its called latency mon or something like that.

ty

I am going to put my money on the SSD. Open the resource monitor and look at your disk queue length ill bet it shoot up when it happens.

interesting