Windows 10 ignores applied policies, unable to turn off features they claim you control and silent install + modify system settings without your approval

From Reddit.

makes for an interesting read

4 Likes

Boy oh boy isn't this glorious. I actually rebuilt a file server at home on enterprise and turned off some of those same things with the expectation it would help slightly in privacy.

1 Like

are we sure this is enterprise? i know for sure that win10 home will completely ignore group policy. enterprise especially should obey it , due to its use in military, govt, and corporate useage.
unactivated installs may not adhere to group policy either ...

1 Like

^^ This. Hard to believe its a proper install as military, govt etc customers will inevitably find issues- would be a royal sh*t storm for MS. The company I work for has already been putting 10 on the unlcass and class side without GPO issues so far.

1 Like

Shot him a tweet to verify that it's enterprise edition.

I've had no issues pushing GPO to W10 ENT but that's just normal GPO items, not necessarily the privacy ones. We wouldn't take the time to verify the privacy ones anyway, we'd just assume it did what we told it to do.

1 Like

I've been meaning to identify the Win10 machine IPs and then with Splunk get into the Cisco logs and try to make sense of the traffic. I believe our ASAs are set to level 6, so hopefully the info is there.

The response from MS is in. Official advice, don't mess with these...

1 Like

BetaNews: Windows 10 China Government Edition allows China to control encryption and telemetry. https://betanews.com/2017/05/23/windows-10-china-government-edition/

A yes, a royal sh*tstorm.. who cares? There's been many before and your choice is either use it or find something else (lol). If anything these outcrys are nothing but publicity and putting the microsoft name out there.

I feel that this type of story is preaching to the choir, the only people reading it are not surprised. Those that would be are just not reading this type of thing. Those on Windows 10 have either taken the blue pill or to ignorant of their options to know that there was a red pill in the first place.

Windows users, like the frog in the beaker have failed to notice the rise in temperature.

3 Likes

What I mean by royal sh*tstorm is it really does matter when the customer is a big payer- hence my later post look at what China got MS to do. Various three letter agencies and the large ocean of government contractors carry a lot of force if the telemetry on Enterprise becomes a large enough issue- to them. But its on said agencies and companies to find its an issue or not. Another example fresh on my memory from a recent product pitch, forcepoint has built in features- expensive time consuming to engineer features because one- only one- three letter agency demanded it. Its all about the $$.

2 Likes

Hey guys,

I have thought about this problem over and over since this post.

Has this issue improved? I haven’t found any evidence to rule out if Microsoft did anything about it.

Necro thread is necro thread.

ThreadNecro