Windows 10 Hyperthreading disabled

Hi, I have a Dell Latitude 5400 laptop with a i7-8665U CPU and HT is enabled in BIOS, but in Windows, it’s showing Cores: 4 and Logical Processors: 4.

I’ve googled a bunch, but can’t find any references to a setting within Windows to change this.

Has anyone seen this before and any idea how I can enable HT?

Thank you!

Not strictly a HT setting, but the only one I know that controls the number of “CPUs” in windows is: msconfig (if you start typing it in Start Menu it will show up as “System Configuration”)
tab: Boot, button: Advance Options

Thanks…when I do that, the Number of Processor box is unchecked and if I check it, I only have the option of 4 processors (vs. 8 with HT).

Another thing to look at is Hyper-V. I forget some of the details, but when you’re running Hyper-V your Windows is actually just a VM like all the other VMs, but with direct hardware access. And I believe you (or someone) could change the configuration of that VM. For example, changing the reported number of CPUs. It could also be a Hyper-V setting, because I think I remember that Microsoft implemented Hyper-V security options to disable Hyperthreading where it was a security problem.

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion…I was sure it was going to solve it. But I disabled Virtualization is BIOS and it’s still 4/4. Although I wonder why even with VT disabled, Task Manager still says Hyper-V support: Yes. Is that reporting a VT capable processor regardless of BiOS setting? Although it is saying Virtualization disabled.

Is this laptop new? If so then did you confirm the CPU name?
You might try to download some linux distro ISO image with live preview, make bootable pendrive and check how linux sees the CPU. To be sure if it is BIOS issue or WIndows issue.

1 Like