Windows 10 - FLAC Audio File Editing

So since Windows finally supports FLAC in Windows 10 natively, I was wondering if FLAC files can be edited like how other audio files are able to be edited (WAV, MP3, etc…), such as right clicking and modifying the meta data by performing right click > properties > details tab

or if the native support is not completely there

I can edit flacs info from properties

So as it turns out, it is possible, but the native editing for audio files specifically in this case FLAC, seems to be missing basic functionality such as adding/editing album artwork.
Image%201Image%202Image%203Image%205Image%204

edit- It appears this is the case for other audio files as well. Specifically in this case, MPEG-4. I guess that’s just how Windows handles things.
Image%201
Image%202
Image%203
Image%204

mp3tag can edit flac just fine, including album art etc. Best tool for the job IMO, I can only recommend it.

So I don’t know what to say at this point.
I have another similar thread that relates a little located here: Editing Audio Files Metadata - Windows

I don’t know what’s to blame exactly. VLC Media Player is buggy, and Windows 10 support for FLAC is still shitty.

When opening FLACs in Windows Media Player as apposed to VLC Media Player there’s noticeable differences. FLACs that have cover art/album artwork added to them when using VLC Media Player seem to only be viewable when using VLC Media Player. When that same file that has cover art/album artwork that was added using VLC Media Player is opened with Windows Media Player, Windows Media Player does not display the cover art/album artwork.

I don’t know what to trust and what is reliable and what is telling me the truth vs what isn’t. What is doing it’s job right vs what isn’t. I’ve lost my fucking mind.

For mass edits and sorting there’s this cross platform tool called MusicBrainz Picard .

Maybe that works for you.

If you want to bother, you can investigate with that foobar2000 that which artwork shows as there are all of them as option

Tried Foobar2000 and I can happily report that VLC Media Player is the issue once again. Well… I don’t know if “the issue” is the appropriate phrasing to use, but it definitely is an issue.

VLC Media Player does not appear to be putting/storing the cover art/album artwork in the appropriate location in FLAC files.

I tried with Foobar2000 and Windows Media Player was able to recognize what Foobar2000 did storing the the cover art/album artwork to/in the file.

I wish there was an exact known structure of what the FLAC codec abides by so I can see what is acceptable and what isn’t.

Seems like you are right, even if I add all of these options that VLC wont show them

Wonder what that VLC is then using, although, you could just ditch that VLC like I did, I can even find you that foobar UI if you want

I did just yesterday discover that there is foobar option for processing all files and slapping that metadata for gains, I did not know you could do it like that, and it seems like you can do same time both track & overall album gains

Example
Track gain: -3.70db
Album gain: -2.64db

The only use that I see VLC Media Player being of at this point is to just play audio files and nothing else. Best bet that I can say is to make sure the FLAC file is being editing correctly is to open the file using different major programs such as Windows Media Player, Foobar200, Winamp, VLC Media Player, etc…

I suspect that there are all options which is also the problem, like everyone is reading and doing them their own way, I rarely even see files having these things :man_shrugging:t2: