Windows 10 + Explorer Question

I have some media file folders/directories that I have customized to be Media Folders but explorer defaults to the LARGE icon size instead of remembering my EXTRA Large size selection.

Is there anyway to force it to always show the EXTRA Large thumbnails ?

It does this for both the folder and inside said folder with the files themselves.

Yes I can change the view but I would like this to be the default.

Thanks.

1 Like

Setup the view exactly as you want it. So set the layout to “Extra large icons”. Then go to “view” “options” “change folder and search options” then on the “Folder Options” pop up select “view” then click on “Apply to Folders” under “Folder views”.

That would apply the view globally to almost all folders. It doesn’t do it for all, and I do not know why. But it does seem to do it for all sub folders. Like for example, I set my folder setup from default to “Extra large”, however, there are some directories that default to “detailed”.

1 Like

Thanks, so it does appear to be a setting under Windows that is NOT always saving properly.

1 Like

Did you try resetting the view? Next to the “apply to folders” there was a reset button. Am away from PC, can’t remember the exact setting name

So I just found out about templates. So maybe that’s why I have two views. Will have to check that out later.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/35093-apply-folder-view-all-folders-same-type-windows-10-a.html

Interesting , thanks again for the tips :slight_smile:

1 Like

It looks like Windows Explorer applies the view that is selected, to the category of the folder. IE, if you are in a folder of images, Explorer will see that folder as an “images” folder, and all folders that Explorer sees that can fit under that category get changed to the new view that it is given. If Explorer gets the category wrong tho, you can change the category of a folder at anytime by right clicking on the folder and selecting “Properties”, then “Customize” and under “What kind of folder do you want” select the category, and then the view will automatically change to that view across all folders that fall under that category.

For example, if you have a folder of all pictures, and you change the view and apply those settings, like we did above, all folders that Explorer thinks are folders of “images” will get that view set to it. If Explorer has a hard time telling if a folder is an image folder you can manually change it as explained in the above paragraph.

The reason why for me the view was different, was because Explorer thought that the folder that I had was a "General items’ folder even tho it was mostly filled of photos ( about 1,200 images) , although there were a lot of PDF’s (40) and a couple of .docs (2) in there as well. Once I changed the category to “Images” the folder automatically applied the view I wanted, which is the “Extra large icons” view to the folder.

No problem. :smiley: I also learned something new as well.

In file views you can change the view type.