Windows 10 Creators Update Reveal && Problems Thread

Beware dual booters. Installed the creators update and now can't get to my Ubuntu partition. Going to have to reinstall Grub.

2 Likes

This applies to more than just fresh installs of the creators update.

I have lost Linux partitions from:

1. The Windows 7 - 10 Upgrade
  2. The anniversary update
  3. Windows 10 fresh install

I swear they are deliberately sabotaging others in the ecosystem. What possible reason would they have with messing with partition tables?
Not only that, but why on earth would they need to even THINK about touching partitions on the disk without asking? Even if it was a 100% valid Windows partition, what if I had valuable information stored there?

5 Likes

#singlebootmasterrace

9 Likes

My first try at the update failed and I had to roll back.
Hoping try number 2 is a bit more successful.

1 Like

May the force be with you.

Back when I was upgrading 8 to 10 on my moms laptop i had to do it twice for some reason. I forgot the exact cause tho...

3 Likes

That's the whole idea of the color shift, my man. If you're a graphic designer who depends on accurate color then you're not going to be using it no matter what system you're on.

Better thing to do if you're worried about the health of your eyes is to take a clean break from the screen every hour for a few minutes.

2 Likes

I agree 100%. But what I realized is at night I am usually not creating, so I need to learn to accept a slight color shift. I have been using it for 4 hours and I'm used to it now that I've lowered the shift a bit. I can always turn it off if I want to work at night.

I need to do this more often, maybe set an alarm or something. I usually go for a few walks during the day, but at night is when I am doing the most damage. I went to the optometrist for a checkup last week, She said "I know people that would kill to have vision as good as yours, but eyestrain is making your eye muscles tired, then you go cross eyed and experience double vision."

The bottom line is there is no cure for staring at a screen all day.

1 Like

I work as an illustrator, so I've started doing some of my initial sketches on paper again to get my eyes off the screen for a bit, so I know the pain.

Working late into the night can't be helped a lot of times though. :disappointed:

2 Likes

Wondering if anyone else that already upgraded has noticed any game stutter, especially if you play high fps/refresh.. Seem to have a random stutter in some games that I play at high fps, e.g. Rocket League seems to have it, Osu super occasionally just microfreezes and my latest mouse movement isn't tracked (although it's super rare, less than once per hour) but then Warframe doesn't have it... Played 90 mins without even 1 stutter.. All games running 150+ fps.. DX9 related maybe since I know RL is DX9 (idk about Osu) and I play Warframe DX11?

Have tried totally removing and reinstalling graphics drivers with DDU for both my NVIDIA and Intel drivers (side monitors run off iGPU), thought it might be game mode or something and while turning if off helped still happening atm in RL..

edit: forgot to mention both CPU and GPU clocks are fine, stay the exact same when it happens.. Also I realised it may be the new 381.65 NVIDIA drivers since I didn't really test anything with the old drivers, by the time I woke up after the windows upgrade the new drivers were out.. Also pretty sure it is a dx9 thing, unigine valley had a stutter in dx9 (besides the scene changes) that I didn't get in dx11..

1 Like

Kinda got left under Game Mode hype but there seems to be now Spatial Sound tab with Windows Sonic for Headphones and check box for 7.1 virtual surround sound.

Turning it on forces 24-bit 96kHz to 16-bit 96kHz.

1 Like

Very interesting.

I have to look into that. I dont remeber if i did, when i first created the OP.

3 Likes

Did notice it right away as I was updating driver, but as it lowered to 16-bit I was suddenly not interested and forgot it. :smiley:

1 Like

Got the creators update for W10 last night, and I noticed a couple things that were off. Fallout 4 no longer has a 1440p option in my settings. I have a gtx 970, so I tried optimizing on geforce experience to get around it, and 1440p was not an option there either. I think W10 recognized my 4K tv I use as a monitor and will only let me use it at 4k. With a 970, that's not cool. I had to turn my game settings down to get rid of stutter. I'm not sure if windows has somehow erased 1440p as an option because W10 detects HDR on my tv, or what.
The other thing I noticed was new features appearing on google-based services, like youtube, that were not there yesterday. Extra things I could click on and different notifications. Whatever MS has done with this update, it seems to be somewhat in partnership with google.
And finally, Adobe Flash is now disabled by default, but when the Edge browser detects flash on a page, there is an icon that appears at the top bar next to the favorites that allows you to turn it on for that page. Not that I use flash, but some websites still do.
It's difficult to know if game mode on W10 is an improvement because with my settings screwed up, there is no way to compare. I have a feeling it will take everyone a while to get this all figured out. Good luck everyone!

1 Like

While I was able to adjust the Night Light to my liking and I will continue to use it, there are problems.

I have it set to turn on at 8PM and while noticeable at first I quickly get used to it.
What I object to is the random fluctuations. At times it will turn off (to bluish white) or change to maximum orange for a few seconds and then revert back to my desired setting at random. That is extremely jarring and hella messed up.

2 Likes

Thank goodness I had figured many of these Settings out and have seen no ads yet. The ad controls I didn't know about are extremely well buried in File Explorer. I would have never found them in a million years.

4 Likes

After Windows 10 Creators update there is no longer a way to set font sizes under icons or any place. Got desperate and went to the disability tab and nothing. My eyes sight is not bad, but to avoid eye strain I like bigger words. Fixed this with Winaero Tweaker.
The next thing I noticed is internet speeds and loading pages are very slow. Using testmy.net I am getting 57 Mbps Download 6 Mbps Upload. Even with those speeds using Firefox pages take a very long time to load. About 5 times longer then before the Update to Creator
No ads in file explorer No changes to my settings.

1 Like

Although none of those settings have any visual impact for how my Win10 is, I don't like any of those things being on so thanks for sharing.

All of that is tied to Store.

2 Likes

UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP

TL;DR - W10 Creators Update broke the program I use to create. Then it broke my PC.

Everything was going fine until I launched Creo 3D this morning. It worked for a minute but not long enough to open a file. BSOD. Next time > immediate BSOD. I Googled how to fix it. Virus scan (all good). Malware scan (all good). Registry scan (all good). Memtest x86 (all good). System File Check scan (all good). Driver update check (all good). Revert to last known stable Nvidia driver. Everything was in order. Then I made the mistake of looking to Microsoft for answers.

M$ told me to run M$ Driver Verifier and it completely borked my Windows installation. I got the BSOD on startup that leads to the 'Do you want to re-install Windows? This will completely wipe everything.' screen. I went into advanced options and ran System Restore from 4/12/2017. Now Windows 10 CE is working again, but every time I reboot it runs Windows Update and re-updates the Creators Edition even though the latest update is already in there.

I'm so pissed that I can't run my mission critical software to do my project, that now I don't even want to do that project anymore. I'm tired of troubleshooting and feel stupid for trying to fix what Windows 10 CE broke.

1 Like

For me the only problem I have, is getting a black screen at random points in the day. It is not tied to any application and happens under any workload.

5 Likes

I just finished getting help from Microsoft tech support chat.

It took over an hour. The tech was good but ultimately she had me revert back to Windows 10 v1607.
She reassured me "Yeah, there are a lot of issues with W10CE, but we will fix them soon. I promise!"
She's gonna make sure her supervisor is going to see my chat session problem, because this could be major if a whole corporation of engineers can't work because of a windows update. She couldn't guaranty that W10CE wouldn't just update itself at a later date. Then she told me to re-type everything we talked about via the Windows Feedback Hub so the M$ engineers will see it. "Can't you do that? This was a lot of info."

So very inefficient.

No biggie, after 2 weeks of beta testing the creators edition, I saw no feature that couldn't be better implemented by using existing 3rd party software. I have no need for Windows 10 Creator Update. I hate being an unwilling beta tester for an unstable OS. It's not like I have an IT department to check if it's Okay before installing it. And there is no way to prevent M$ from automatically installing it again. I want security updates, but not W10CE.

1 Like