Windows 10 Creators Update Reveal && Problems Thread

the windows 10 "desperately seeking more market interest" update

3 Likes

i'm glad i'm not the only one growing increasingly irritated by the fullon HAY Y'AWL AND WELCUM TO THA CHURCH OV LINNUX WITH Y'AWLS HOST REVEREND RICKY STALLMAN evangelism going on here.

2 Likes

I'm going to wait until all the anti-spying programs are updated to support the Creators Update.

2 Likes

Yeah, the next stage in XBoxifying the PC is a go lol... the next stage in the "pay to be able to use your own hardware" scheme... there is a logical error in the business model though lol... if XBox were the hardware console with the largest customer base, it would make sense, but at this point, neither XBox nor W10 are anywhere near a point of dominance in the market...

1 Like

Hm, like the direction if I'm honest. But I could just be being biased as I'm an artist, it's nice to see. The only thing I'm worried about is that it might mess up some of my current software, what has been known to happen. Like when Windows 10 went from the base version, to the anniversary update. It broke 3DSMAX.... that was Autodesks excuse at least when I contacted their support.

And, don't scream Linux at me. I use RHEL as my back-up production system, as it has: Maya, Mudbox, MODO and Mari what I can get by. But there is sadly a few programs that I'm still heavily Windows dependant on.

1 Like

I couldn't resist @weskie ...

8 Likes

Literally just emulate windows through a VM on fedora using hardware pass-through. Problem solved. There's no reason for anyone to be on windows anymore unless you have a processor that doesn't support hardware pass-through.

2 Likes

Also, it's only a year left before the GDPR comes into full force. That makes "privacy by design and by default" mandatory, and the fines are very high and injunctions are possible and it enables direct action without ratification by members states. Guess an even more private version of this will be the only option for everyone using Windows 10 on EU soil... but if Microsoft, and that's not really "if", bur rather "when" lol, tries to secretly circumvent that, that would be an intentional serious offense, and the consequences could be that Microsoft services could be blocked. So for all you EU users, I wouldn't invest in the platform too much lol, might be that it's not really a long-term investment at all...

2 Likes

I could probably do that with Zbrush as it's CPU dependant as it isn't a true 3D program, and pass-through my tablet. I've toyed with it a little bit before. However, I am unable to use Fedora for my software it lacks the older packages to make my software run, and it kills the point of also using RHEL as my back-up production OS for my Workstation. Stable, tested. Will always work. As my machine makes money, it's not really a play toy. Until Autodesk update their software to support newer up-to-date packages of what is required Fedora will be a no-go anyhow.

1 Like

I mean with the debloat scripts, classicshell, and a few tweaks, windows 10 really isnt bad to use. I tried going back to 7 which was a pain in the ass with the lack of USB3/RAID/UEFI/Driver support out of the box. Installing classic shell and running a couple scripts to trim the windows 10 fat seems like less work.

Windows10 legitimately runs my games faster too. Not that I needed more frames. Playing LOL on a 1070 means i could probably run play on linux and still be well above the 60hz of my monitors. The load times feel faster. I think this is down to how 10 utilizes ram way better than 7 ever did. Currently I'm using 4.9GB but its caching another 13.5GB of shit I have used in the backround, which is neat IMO.

It has its flaws, mostly due to decisions made to make money off the user by other means than the cost of the OS itself. The computer community loves to bash on it though, as has been tradition for a while now with just about every version of windows. Just about the time everyone begins to accept what it is they will probably release a new version which everyone will hate.

1 Like

How to install Windows 10's Creators update early

https://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/software/how_to_install_windows_10_s_creators_update_early/1

Basically it involves downloading the Windows Update Assistant here >
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=799445
and clicking Update Now.

I'm D/L now, I will let you know how it works out.

2 Likes

Did that last night actually, worked fine for me, was a relatively quick install for a build upgrade and didn't reset much in the way of settings like the privacy/background apps. It did reactivate some services I have disabled like connected platforms/geolocation/user experience telemetry but not exactly hard to quickly re-skim through service list.

But it didn't reset that I have cortana disabled via gpedit, no xbox app and game dvr registry disabled, didn't reinstall that much in the way of apps and bloat or re-enable a bunch of crap like typing learning or enabling you to share updates or pretty much any of the other background stuff I had turned off so definitely not as bad as when literally the settings got reset on updates before.. Oh and classic shell still works without needing an update so that's nice

2 Likes

I am already running it, been installed since yesterday

Haven't had a chance to test game mode but by all accounts all I can really expect is a couple of fps 'gain' over normal use.

1 Like

okay..

just quickly run the resident evil 6 benchmark as I had it handy...

pressing the win key and g (which toggles the game mode) resulted in more than just a couple of fps gain.

I need to look into this a bit more, dont want to get my hopes up :smiley:

1 Like

How much moar?

Im getting hyped.

3 Likes

Hype deflated, sorry about that - I even got my own hopes up

Single test on resident evil 6 bench at 1080p with everything maxed

Game mode on

Game mode off

game mode got me 47 more frames total for the entire run

there was one point at the end of the first half where it draws out to a load of zombies in the scene, that part normally tanks cpus and it was nice seeing it a couple of fps higher but in general it wasnt noticable

2 Likes

Thanks...

3 Likes

a proper test (which I dont have time for as I need to go to bed :D) would require three runs each and then average the result.

Hey, I am not complaining about performance increases.. no matter how slight

1 Like

I dont mind if you dont go to sleep.

But thats just me.

3 Likes

GOW 4 - mixed settings

Will ultra them tomorrow and retest

check the minimum averages..

71.9 vs 75.3

again, not great but I will take it.

NOW off to bed :slight_smile:

1 Like